Menu

Need your best telling time activities.

joannqn

Absolutely give it a try.

But here's my warning:

When my older daughter was 4, she desperately wanted to learn how to read a clock. So I bought her an analog watch, we played with a judy clock, we played with a puzzle, we played time bingo. And honestly, she would understand a little bit and remember for a little bit and then she'd forget everything. The whole concept was just not sticking. I set it aside. Then, one day, when she was 6.5, the concept came up in her math book and she picked it up in about 10 minutes. She understood completely with almost no effort.

The same thing happened with my younger daughter. She got the idea of the hours at 4 or 5, but there was something that happened around 6 when time suddenly meant something more and it all came together so easily.

So give it a try... but don't worry if it doesn't entirely make sense to him, it'll be a breeze when he's ready.

DS4 (almost 5) wants to learn how to tell time. He already knows how to tell time to the hour. He's loud, active, etc. He enjoys quick, hands on type activities.

He also broke our Judy clock.

Ideas?

I always buy my 4/5 year olds a watch like this one. It's fairly durable. We talk about how to use it every once in awhile as we're going about our day, and before long they've figured it out.

Try Kumon's workbooks; eeBoo's game; and maybe the Library Video Company's "All About Telling Time" video if the library has it. -- the eeBoo game clocks are a bit annoying, we used Judy clocks but eeBoo is prob. better than broken Judy :). Now we just use the eeBoo cards and skip the clocks.