Menu

Shelf Life of Almonds

Yes, almonds can be frozen. As far as the ones you have, is there an expiration date on them? Most nuts have a pretty long shelf life although shelled nuts don't last as long as the ones stored in their shell. But they still last pretty long.

Just taste one...you'll be able to taste if it's rancid or not.

they should be still good and yes, you can store them in the freezer, which is what I usually do. We have a friend with an almond orchard, and he gives us lots of almonds. I have some in my freezer that are a year old and they are still fine. I think you don't want to eat shriveled looking nuts, and of course no moldy ones.

The fact that you had them stored in the fridge pretty much eliminates my concern that they could have gone rancid. However, from March to now, even without cold storage, my guess is they'd be fine.

It is recommended to store nuts of all types in the refrigerator or the freezer if you won't be consuming them right away. Most varieties of frozen nuts can easily keep a year.

HTH,

About raw almonds... in case you didn't know...

The government changed the rules for raw almonds a year or two ago, which really stinks because we used to keep them around for a good healthy snack. The new rules require almonds to be either 1) sprayed with a known carcinogen, or 2) pasteurized to a temperature which cooks them. If you are going to cook them anyway, then it wouldn't matter if they are actually raw or cooked, but if you are buying them to eat them *raw*, which is their most healthy form, then it matters a great deal. Either way, the government allows them to be called "raw" on the label.

Needless to say, we don't buy them anymore. :(