Menu

Mystery of History question

LillianinAL

If you have used Mystery of History for your dc's history, how have you done reading/ literature and writing? I have always used Sonlight with WTM, but I'd like to combine and streamline where I can with 7 dc, 5 in school. I'm interested in the programs that include MOH and especially if you've just come up with a list. We currently use WWE and WWS for four of our dc. Thanks, Lillian

I tried to use MOH last fall by itself. I thought it would make things simpler for me and more stream lined.

I found after a month I was more than ready to go back to a more complete program for the reading, literature, and writing. I wanted more guidance and missed the TM.

MOH could be used alone. I just needed to do more work than I was doing. The Bible is listed in the back that goes with each lesson. The appendix is filled with books that could be checked out at a library to go with each lesson. The weekly lessons include doing a time-line, note book if you choose (note book pages are available for down load for $38), comprehension questions, and index cards for review. They also sell coloring pages, etc. It really could become a full program. It just takes more work for mom to do; but you could do it.

I missed the on-line curriculum support that MFW offers. There too though I believe MOH has a yahoo board and Linda is even on it to answer questions. I also missed the integration of science, history, and Bible.

So can it be done? Yes and definitely. The curriculum itself has everything you need, you just need to pull it together.

I hope this helps, and someone with more than one month experience with MOH chimes in. We have gone back to using it as a fun read-aloud/book basket.

I chose a list of resources from those suggested in MOH, WP catalogue, Beautiful Feet, and Memoria Press.

For example, our literature was Gilgamesh. However, we are reading the Cat of Bubastus too. We will do a literature study but read additional fiction and nonfiction resources. SOTW is a resource that we read. I downloaded the additional resources. We love them. I do not do the lapbooks, but do pages for the lapbooks parts that we choose. I add challenge cards to our memory book. We use the Drawing Through History books to illustrate (no coloring pages for us now!). Our timeline is a tab in our notebook, and only for ancient history. I tried to do a large scale timeline, but quickly abandoned this in favor of the notebook and tab. I abandoned the continent setup in the notebook in favor of a quarter too. We created a table of contents, which is the first tab in our notebook. All pages are numbered. It is quite a setup now. And no, it wasn't that much work. :) ... just a lot of printing, LOL.

I have the first quarter up on my blog to show how I have set our literature and reading.

As for writing, I do not include the mechanics and style of writing as an integrated part of history or science. I use Writing Strands and Writer's Express. In Writer's Express, there are sections for writing stories from history, writing summaries, and writing reports. I do not use summaries in history. We fact list or outline at this point. My student is in the fifth grade.

More or less, my focus this year is organizing, gathering information from resources, step by step planning, sentence construction, etc - mechanics and style.

History, as well as science, is more resource driven and hands-on. (I believe in reading and putting your hands on as much as you can.)

ETA: Pm if you have questions.

Edited by ChrissySC

We are using it for High School. I looked at it for my younger daughter but I did not think she would get the full impact of the curriculum at her age. For HS I am having my son do a lot of research and writing(He just finished reading Riddle of the Rosetta Stone and is writing a paragraph about it). I am very pleases with MOH as a complete History curriculum...includes mapping and timeline work but only because my son is old enough to do the older student activities. He is also reading several books that are suggested in the MOH appendix. The younger activities are, in my opinion, fluff. The middle student activities are good and will cover much if done.

Winter Promise uses MOH for their Ancient History theme and their Middle Ages theme. If you are looking for more to do with MOH.

I have done MOH 1 and 2 with Cores B and C, and am currently on year 2 of doing SL G with MOH 1 (last year) and MOH 2 (this year). Next year I'll go on to core H and MOH 3.

I've also added in books from Winter Promise and Illuminations. (Illuminations is put out by Bright Ideas Press, which is also the publisher of MOH. They have a complete program put together for you--I just can't quite give up Sonlight!).

I have booklists of what I've used. I just made up a 1-page listing like SL does at the beginning of each IG, putting the approximate week that I thought I would use a book. Then I also made up an "optional" list in case we ran ahead of schedule.

I'll dig out my lists later & try to post them. PM me if I forget & you want to see them!

Merry :-)

I have done MOH 1 and 2 with Cores B and C, and am currently on year 2 of doing SL G with MOH 1 (last year) and MOH 2 (this year). Next year I'll go on to core H and MOH 3.

I've also added in books from Winter Promise and Illuminations. (Illuminations is put out by Bright Ideas Press, which is also the publisher of MOH. They have a complete program put together for you--I just can't quite give up Sonlight!).

I have booklists of what I've used. I just made up a 1-page listing like SL does at the beginning of each IG, putting the approximate week that I thought I would use a book. Then I also made up an "optional" list in case we ran ahead of schedule.

I'll dig out my lists later & try to post them. PM me if I forget & you want to see them!

Merry :-)

I keep looking at Illuminations too. :lol: I have resisted the urge thus far so ... shhhh! Whisper so that I cannot hear you!

Thanks everyone! Merry, I'm so glad you replied. I would do just what you are doing except I've got five students and two busy preschoolers now. I'm torn between doing something I can do with all five at the same time and having each child doing his or her own core independently except for my dd who would be in Core 2 (we have four going now). I know what you mean about not wanting to give up Sonlight. Over the years I've looked at many other programs out there and haven't found one I like as well. So, I'd love to see your lists, if you don't mind sharing them. Blessings, Lillian

Thanks everyone! Merry, I'm so glad you replied. I would do just what you are doing except I've got five students and two busy preschoolers now. I'm torn between doing something I can do with all five at the same time and having each child doing his or her own core independently except for my dd who would be in Core 2 (we have four going now). I know what you mean about not wanting to give up Sonlight. Over the years I've looked at many other programs out there and haven't found one I like as well. So, I'd love to see your lists, if you don't mind sharing them. Blessings, Lillian

Yes, that's a lot to juggle! You could let them do the readers from those levels though while doing MOH with all 5 of them, and then if you do a family read-aloud time, read a short book for the littles and let them play quietly (or go to bed) while you read a read-aloud from one of the cores--you could alternate books possibly from the 2 cores, that's what I do now that I've got one doing World history & one doing US, LOL!

Here are my MOH/SL lists, I hope this helps as you decide what books will work well for you! Merry :-)

• 2 weeks later...