Menu

Does anyone know the difference in editios of Well trained mind?

River notes

Hello,

I have been using the library of the WTM and was thinking I should get my own. In the same breath does anyone know the difference between the editions? Would it be just the same not to spend as much money and just get the first edition or is there more information in the second edition?

Thanks

There are 3 editions. I had the 1st out from the library while waiting on the 3rd. I ended up buying the 1st as well. They are just different enough that it is worth having both. I checked the 2nd edition out from the library, but if you have both 1st & 3rd, you have everything from the 2nd.

The 3rd edition really helps understand the big picture. It's much more overview-focused. It also has updated curriculum recommendations.

The 1st edition included schedules that the publisher insisted be included. I LOVE those schedules! I don't adhere to them by any means, but they give such a clear nuts & bolts picture that they are a great starting point. I'm not sure I would have been confident enough to pull together various things without those schedules - I think I would have felt like I had to go with a box program to be sure I had all my bases covered. The 1st edition also gave great notebooking suggestions, which are perfect for covering your bases if you are required to keep a portfolio for legal purposes.

I would DEFINITELY go hardcover on something like that. You want to read it through once a year or so, but I so often think "I know I read something about..." and I go flipping. It's one of those references that I don't think would be nearly as useful digital.

But I must admit, I'm old! I prefer most reference materials in hardcopy, and only buy digital for things like fiction that I probably won't do much flipping or going back to.

I would DEFINITELY go hardcover on something like that. You want to read it through once a year or so, but I so often think "I know I read something about..." and I go flipping. It's one of those references that I don't think would be nearly as useful digital.

But I must admit, I'm old! I prefer most reference materials in hardcopy, and only buy digital for things like fiction that I probably won't do much flipping or going back to.

:iagree: I have all three editions of WTM and both editions of LCC.

There are 3 editions. I had the 1st out from the library while waiting on the 3rd. I ended up buying the 1st as well. They are just different enough that it is worth having both. I checked the 2nd edition out from the library, but if you have both 1st & 3rd, you have everything from the 2nd.

The 3rd edition really helps understand the big picture. It's much more overview-focused. It also has updated curriculum recommendations.

The 1st edition included schedules that the publisher insisted be included. I LOVE those schedules! I don't adhere to them by any means, but they give such a clear nuts & bolts picture that they are a great starting point. I'm not sure I would have been confident enough to pull together various things without those schedules - I think I would have felt like I had to go with a box program to be sure I had all my bases covered. The 1st edition also gave great notebooking suggestions, which are perfect for covering your bases if you are required to keep a portfolio for legal purposes.

:iagree: about the schedules. I was disappointed when the copy I purchased (2nd Ed.) didn't include them.

I'm so curious about these schedules! How are they different than what is listed in the chapters on schedules in the second and third editions?

Of course, both copies of the first edition are presently checked out at my library. :)

I'm so curious about these schedules! How are they different than what is listed in the chapters on schedules in the second and third editions?

Of course, both copies of the first edition are presently checked out at my library. :)

It's just DETAILED. It's "homeschooling classically for dummies". As a first-time homeschooler, I needed every one of those details to truly believe I could do this, and could do it well. I wanted to see exactly what the ideal goals were before 1st grade, exactly what order to introduce new subjects, what subjects to introduce when, which curricula, and for how many minutes. It does that.

I'm one who needs scripted programs too. :)

SWB & JW put the details in at the insistence of the publisher, but didn't really want them in there, so once they had established themselves, they were able to remove them.

They know nobody follows the schedules to the tee, but those schedules are still extremely useful. I can say to myself "SWB, whose favorite subject is history, puts x minutes on history in 1st grade. To me, music is more important, so I will put a few less minutes in history, and a few more in music."

The schedules really probably aren't needed. *I* just needed them for confidence.

It's just DETAILED. It's "homeschooling classically for dummies". As a first-time homeschooler, I needed every one of those details to truly believe I could do this, and could do it well. I wanted to see exactly what the ideal goals were before 1st grade, exactly what order to introduce new subjects, what subjects to introduce when, which curricula, and for how many minutes. It does that.

I'm one who needs scripted programs too. :)

SWB & JW put the details in at the insistence of the publisher, but didn't really want them in there, so once they had established themselves, they were able to remove them.

They know nobody follows the schedules to the tee, but those schedules are still extremely useful. I can say to myself "SWB, whose favorite subject is history, puts x minutes on history in 1st grade. To me, music is more important, so I will put a few less minutes in history, and a few more in music."

The schedules really probably aren't needed. *I* just needed them for confidence.

Cool! I will definitely have to check them out when a first edition copy is free at my library. I SO understand what you said about needing them for confidence. I know that experience/time will help me build my confidence but great resources can boost it, too! Thanks for sharing!