Menu

Math Placements - inconsistencies?

farming_mum

We have just completed Singapore Maths 1B (including IP and CWP) and feel that we are missing something or that we aren't quite suited to SM. :001_huh:

So, I decided to look into Mammoth Math and completed the Grade 1 placement test to ensure my DS had covered everything necessary from SM but to my amazement he 'failed' and as stated now has to redo MM Grade 1.

I then went back to SM and completed the 1B placement test and he passed with flying colors.

So, with MM he has to redo Grade 1 and SM is telling us he is right to start Grade 2 stuff (2A). :confused:

Can someone explain this to me?? Surely the math curriculums shouldn't be that different? I definately don't want to have to be repeating a grade everytime we change curriculums? :bigear:

Can someone explain this to me?? Surely the math curriculums shouldn't be that different? I definately don't want to have to be repeating a grade everytime we change curriculums? :bigear:

Yes, they are! I can't comment on MM but I know that if I put DD into BJU Math, I would put her in BJU Math 4 (and fill any gaps) because she has covered most of BJU Math 3. It wouldn't be worth buying the whole math 3 book. She is in SM 3a too.

Scope and sequences can be different between math cirrcula.

My guess is that it's simply the presentation of the problems, which is different between the two of them. SM actually covers a few more topics than MM 1, IIRC. Assuming he really understood the concepts in SM 1, if he were to take a few days of practice and get used to the MM way, he'd be fine.

ETA: And that's a good argument for using different math curricula, at least every so often, as a check.

It may be the difference in how questions are asked. What problems did he miss on the MM test?

I actually would have expected your results to be the other way around. The two programs have a different scope and sequence. It's entirely possible that MM1 has some things that Singapore didn't cover yet, but at the end of 6th grade, they both are around the same place - child can move into prealgebra or sometimes even algebra.

Missed this comment when I first replied...

I definately don't want to have to be repeating a grade everytime we change curriculums? :bigear:

Most people don't recommend changing math curriculum unless you really need to for this reason. Pick one and stick with it through elementary (prealgebra on up, you can change each year, as those courses are self-contained).

When I changed from MM to Singapore, we were pushed back half a grade level. I accepted that because DS was far enough ahead that being set back was not a bad thing.

If your son did well on the Singapore test, it sounds like the program is working well. Stick with it, and maybe add in some MM now and then for something different.

Thank you so much for all your advise!!! :thumbup:

We have now decided to stick with Singapore Maths and just supplement with Mammoth Maths (as it is so cheap). I got my DS to do the SM 1B placement test and he passed with flying colors so I guess it worked as we hoped!! :001_smile:

I learn something new every day!! :D