Menu

Supplement for RS Spanish?

I feel that my oldest daughter has really gotten a bad Spanish grammar education. She is a junior and is working through RS Spanish. My younger daughter will begin Spanish in the fall and I am looking into a grammar supplement workbook to work through while doing RS. I like the conversation part of RS but feel there needs to be something else for grammar.

Any suggestions? I have heard of Galore Park's SYRWLS, Practice Makes Perfect, and Getting Started with Spanish. Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

http://store.tellmemore.com/TELL-ME-MORE-Spanish-Homeschool-Software-5-Levels-p/hs9-005-5.htm?gclid=CMnyv7eMpa4CFQFY7AodpDjuUg

We had the same difficulty with RS. My daughter did 2 years of RS Spanish for high school, and were disappointed with the lack of grammar help. Had I known about the Tell Me More language programs, I would have picked TMM.

The link above will take you to their website. It offers free demonstrations, where you can see the grammar/conjugation helps. A few weeks ago I actually learned our county-wide library system offers Tell Me More for free, online, to any library patron! Argh! I could have saved myself $350!

http://store.tellmemore.com/TELL-ME-MORE-Spanish-Homeschool-Software-5-Levels-p/hs9-005-5.htm?gclid=CMnyv7eMpa4CFQFY7AodpDjuUg

We had the same difficulty with RS. My daughter did 2 years of RS Spanish for high school, and were disappointed with the lack of grammar help. Had I known about the Tell Me More language programs, I would have picked TMM.

The link above will take you to their website. It offers free demonstrations, where you can see the grammar/conjugation helps. A few weeks ago I actually learned our county-wide library system offers Tell Me More for free, online, to any library patron! Argh! I could have saved myself $350!

We picked up TMM (homeschool 5 level edition) a few weeks ago when Homeschool Buyer's Co-op had it on a good sale. Folks may want to watch for that. We've been very pleased---all three of us are learning a lot (you can set up individual profiles). From what I can tell, it's a mix of RS methods and grammar.

Does your library system offer out of county cards? Does their version of TMM go past level 5 in Spanish or offer Japanese? My husband is very interested in trying out TMM's Japanese, but we can't afford to buy a full copy of another language right now.

Edited by KarenNC

For those that are recommending TMM are you suggesting it is a supplement for RS Spanish or a replacement?

I am fine replacing RS if that would be a better option for my younger dd.

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

The feeling I get is that it would really work more as a replacement than a supplement. They have a free one month online trial that you might check out to see how she likes it. We did note that the voice recognition response time was much better on the dvds than the online (even with a cable modem), which makes sense since it's packaged together in the dvd rather than waiting on the internet connection. Since you're not looking to have her start until the fall, check out the online and then you may want to hang out to see if they offer it for sale again through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op if she likes it. It was a substantial savings (I think at least $100). I've also seen hints that the libraries are testing it in some systems in the state and are at least considering it through NC Live, which would be great. I'm having trouble figuring out which ones are testing it, but then I find NC Live difficult to navigate anyway.

Edited by KarenNC

We are using Rosetta Stone and Getting Started With Spanish, although with a much younger child (8). I do feel that specific grammar instruction is necessary and is lacking in Rosetta Stone, GSWS gives an easy to follow basic introduction that fits well with RS level 1. As your dd moves forward in her studies she will need something more, but I do think this makes a good start.

Rosetta homeschool has some sort of worksheet CD that might be what you're looking for? I like th Barron's E-Z workbook to go along with French, and likely it's the same for Spanish. It's inexpensive, clear, and has answers in back.

Yes, we have the CD with the worksheets. It's ok but has very little grammar instruction. I will definitely check out Barrons.

Thanks,

Elise

For review for your older daughter, you may want to try this book with CD?

http://www.ecampus.com/ultimate-spanish-review-practice-cdrom/bk/9780071744188

On the front it specifically says: "Mastering Spanish Grammar for confident communication." I got it for my older son, but he ended up not needing it. So now we have it here in case DD wants to use it. Or maybe me, if I can get myself through to that level (I have to learn something to be able to review it! :D)

DD is using Visual Link Spanish and really likes it, maybe your younger one would too. I'm not sure how strong it is on grammar, but they have programs that say they're worth high school credit.

Edited by Brindee