Menu

I just love it when my inner 4th grade self gets so excited about what I'm learning!!

Maybe that sounds silly, but I think 4th grade grammar, particularly sentence diagramming, is so. much. fun. I may not think that when I get to 7th grade grammar with my boys, but the 4th grade grammar, which I was never taught, is awesome.

This re-claiming my own education is exciting stuff. I love the term 'lead-learner' because that is exactly how I feel!

Just yesterday I was re-reading Homer Price for our parent-child literary analysis book club. I cannot believe the new things I read and understood when looking at it from an analysis point of view. We are analyzing and drawing a story chart for just one chapter, The Doughnuts, and I have three pages of notes. My inner 4th grade self (maybe more like 6th grade) wants so badly to write a book report. :lol: Maybe it won't be quite as much fun when we get to something more difficult than Homer Price :tongue_smilie: but I'm just going to enjoy now and not think about later.

I love Homer Price!

Here is an old film (1963) based on the Homer Price's Doughnut story -- I used to show to it to my 3rd/4th graders on an old filmstrip/projector back in the stone age. ;) I love this film!

It is 3 parts on YouTube:

Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HowpkY-Aro

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uU0N5jBU3Y&feature=related

Part Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1Mca6K6p8&feature=related

I love Homer Price!

Here is an old film (1963) based on the Homer Price's Doughnut story -- I used to show to it to my 3rd/4th graders on an old filmstrip/projector back in the stone age. ;) I love this film!

It is 3 parts on YouTube:

Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HowpkY-Aro

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uU0N5jBU3Y&feature=related

Part Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1Mca6K6p8&feature=related

You are now my most favorite person!!!! I was JUST telling my sister that one of the reasons I chose this book and chapter was because I could have sworn I watched a movie about it as a child, and it really stuck with me all these years. I didn't read the book until I was an adult, and I had the weirdest deja vu sort of thing going on.

This morning I looked up background info on Robert McCloskey and discovered that there were indeed TWO films made based on just that chapter, but I searched for it on Netflix to no avail. It didn't occur to me to check YouTube. You have made me a very happy person.

Maybe that sounds silly, but I think 4th grade grammar, particularly sentence diagramming, is so. much. fun. I may not think that when I get to 7th grade grammar with my boys, but the 4th grade grammar, which I was never taught, is awesome.

This re-claiming my own education is exciting stuff.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I was working out some pretty complex diagrams yesterday from R&S 8, and I LOVED doing it!!!!!!! I got them all correct!!!!!! I never learned this stuff before, either!

You are now my most favorite person!!!! I was JUST telling my sister that one of the reasons I chose this book and chapter was because I could have sworn I watched a movie about it as a child, and it really stuck with me all these years. I didn't read the book until I was an adult, and I had the weirdest deja vu sort of thing going on.

This morning I looked up background info on Robert McCloskey and discovered that there were indeed TWO films made based on just that chapter, but I searched for it on Netflix to no avail. It didn't occur to me to check YouTube. You have made me a very happy person.

:D My pleasure! Enjoy!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I was working out some pretty complex diagrams yesterday from R&S 8, and I LOVED doing it!!!!!!! I got them all correct!!!!!! I never learned this stuff before, either!

There is something so satisfying about it, isn't there? My husband wanted to do a family game night the other night, and I tried to convince him we should do competitive sentence diagramming. :lol:

There is something so satisfying about it, isn't there? My husband wanted to do a family game night the other night, and I tried to convince him we should do competitive sentence diagramming. :lol:

:lol::lol: I love it! Lately, I've been trying to convince my husband to study grammar with me. I told him, "I know exactly the R&S level where you should begin, and I'll speed you through it by letting you answer the exercises orally, like our kids do. I'll explain anything to you that doesn't make sense after a reading of R&S. I'll show you how to diagram, and you'll see how fun it is - it's just like figuring out music that you like to figure out!" (he's a guitar teacher/player) He's not biting yet. :glare:

:lol::lol: I love it! Lately, I've been trying to convince my husband to study grammar with me. I told him, "I know exactly the R&S level where you should begin, and I'll speed you through it by letting you answer the exercises orally, like our kids do. I'll explain anything to you that doesn't make sense after a reading of R&S. I'll show you how to diagram, and you'll see how fun it is - it's just like figuring out music that you like to figure out!" (he's a guitar teacher/player) He's not biting yet. :glare:

:lol::lol::lol: That sounds exactly like something I would say to my husband!!

I can definitely relate, except that it's 5th grade math that I get all excited about. I've also become rather obsessed with history since starting homeschooling two-and-a-half years ago. Sentence diagramming is not something I've ever heard of in British schools. The idea of 'competitive sentence diagramming' sounds hysterical, although with half the family being dyslexic, they might not appreciate it :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes

Cassy

My husband wanted to do a family game night the other night, and I tried to convince him we should do competitive sentence diagramming. :lol:

So I woke up this morning, with my mind swirling with thoughts about Latin/high school science/high school writing/diagraming, and I thought, "What a great idea. There should be a game for diagraming. I wonder if any enterprising homeschool family has come up with a diagraming game and is selling it..." Heidi, don't you wanna take on this project?? Or we could brainstorm here...

So I woke up this morning, with my mind swirling with thoughts about Latin/high school science/high school writing/diagraming, and I thought, "What a great idea. There should be a game for diagraming. I wonder if any enterprising homeschool family has come up with a diagraming game and is selling it..." Heidi, don't you wanna take on this project?? Or we could brainstorm here...

That's hilarious. I don't think I'm creative enough for that challenge. But SOMEONE needs to do it!