Menu

Test prep or practice tests

joyfulhomeschooler

I just bought Spectrum test prep through Timberdoodle. It is reasonably priced. Not sure if it's geared for your test or not.

I'm curious when one should start using such a program - a few weeks out before test? a month?

I've heard it's good to start a few months before and practice for about 10 min a day. Not sure though since this is our first time :)

I've heard it's good to start a few months before and practice for about 10 min a day. Not sure though since this is our first time :)

:iagree: We use Spectrum and Scoring High TerraNova Cat.

We use them even in the years we don't test. 5-10 minutes a day is all it takes. When dd nears high school we will switch to SAT/ACT prep and increase the time.

:iagree: We use Spectrum and Scoring High TerraNova Cat.

We use them even in the years we don't test. 5-10 minutes a day is all it takes. When dd nears high school we will switch to SAT/ACT prep and increase the time.

Do you feel then that these tests help them with not just content ( I'm not really worried about content) but with the set up and process of the testing experience for the TerraNova Cat?

I think it helps when you give feedback for incorrect answers to "trick" questions. When my ds was taking the exam, I could tell he was picking the first possible answer, not the best answer. In reading comprehension, he was also using his outside knowledge to answer questions. After he finished and the exam was sent off, we talked about checking every answer before making a selection. I also had to caution him that he could only use the information provided in reading paragraphs.

We are using Spectrum this year to work through the different parts and build up his test-taking skills. There's an element of gamesmanship in standardized testing that I dislike. However, the testing is required and since he might go back to ps, it helps to have a measure the school can understand.

Do you feel then that these tests help them with not just content ( I'm not really worried about content) but with the set up and process of the testing experience for the TerraNova Cat?

Yes, I think test prep helps with understanding the set up and the process of taking the TerraNova Cat.

I think it helps when you give feedback for incorrect answers to "trick" questions. When my ds was taking the exam, I could tell he was picking the first possible answer, not the best answer. In reading comprehension, he was also using his outside knowledge to answer questions. After he finished and the exam was sent off, we talked about checking every answer before making a selection. I also had to caution him that he could only use the information provided in reading paragraphs.

We are using Spectrum this year to work through the different parts and build up his test-taking skills. There's an element of gamesmanship in standardized testing that I dislike. However, the testing is required and since he might go back to ps, it helps to have a measure the school can understand.

:iagree:On one practice test there was a story about birdwatching. My daughter answered the questions based on our method of birdwatching instead of what was described in the story. It was a good lesson for her to learn. Yes, our method is valid and a possible choice, but it wasn't the method used in the story.

I agree that there is an element of gamesmanship involved. It pays to learn how to play the game. ;)

Yes, I think test prep helps with understanding the set up and the process of taking the TerraNova Cat.

:iagree:On one practice test there was a story about birdwatching. My daughter answered the questions based on our method of birdwatching instead of what was described in the story. It was a good lesson for her to learn. Yes, our method is valid and a possible choice, but it wasn't the method used in the story.

I agree that there is an element of gamesmanship involved. It pays to learn how to play the game. ;)

Do I get the spectrum test practice or the other one... can't remember the name now. Can you tell me what exactly it is called so I don't wind up ordering the wrong thing?

Also was wondering if anyones heard of the Achieving peak performance practice tests? That is another one I was looking at.

I'll be watching this thread as my 9yo dd will be testing this year too. I can share what we are using though I'm always on the lookout for different ways to prepare.

Daily Reading Comprehension (Evan-Moor) e-book

There is a passage to read and fill-in-the-bubble type questions. There are 150 passages.

Grammar Minutes (Creative Teaching Press) e-book

This is used to review grammar skills. 100 daily drills.

Advantage Test Prep (Creative Teaching Press) e-book

I plan to use this one the month before the test.

Normally I don't do test prep with my kids but this particular child needs a little extra help. As much as I dislike the requirement to test, I must admit that it has been a good thing for her...so far.

I have my kids do reviews in math on Fridays, and during the Spring semester I pull those from a Spectrum workbook for my oldest.

For LA test prep, I have DD work through Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing twice per week plus two lessons per week out of the Curriculum Associates Focus on ... reading comprehension workbooks (unfortunately they appear to be going OOP).

Do I get the spectrum test practice or the other one... can't remember the name now. Can you tell me what exactly it is called so I don't wind up ordering the wrong thing?

I like them both, but if I had to choose only one I would pick Scoring High TerraNova CAT. There are Scoring High books for various tests, so be sure to get the one associated with the test the child will be taking.

Scoring High is more expensive since it also has a teacher's edition. The teacher's edition has the answers and covers test taking tips.

If money is tight you could use Spectrum and find test taking tips on-line.