Menu

Want feedback please :)

ThreeBlessings

After much research and thinking I've begun to make my own Spelling to use with my kids. I don't have the $ to put into an expensive program, but I want something open and go that teaches the rules. I have completed the first two weeks! I put them up on google docs as free pdfs if anyone is interested in checking them out. I'd really love feedback before I progress. There is a student workbook and a teacher book. It is based off a vintage, public domain Spelling book with lots of changes. Please let me know what you think!

The format looks nice and tidy and the modern language and instructions to parents is very worthwhile.

Some of the words are strange - notably, "troublous." I think this is where I'd say "troublesome" or something... looking over the original, it looks like you're kind of starting in the beginning. The first lessons (on common misspellings, words that look / sound alike, etc) look wonderful and very applicable today as well.

However, since you're asking, I'd question the need for the student pages, since they are going to be basically the same every lesson. The beauty of these old-fashioned books is that they don't waste any pages and you can fit an entire (meaty) lesson on one page. Presumably, a slate or something paper-saving would be used for student work - as admirable a concept in 2012 as it was in 1864. :-)

Alternatively, I might just use blank lined paper - as we do for FLL. There's a place for fancy narration / notepaper and a place for plain Jane student writing paper. :-)

The format looks nice and tidy and the modern language and instructions to parents is very worthwhile.

Some of the words are strange - notably, "troublous." I think this is where I'd say "troublesome" or something... looking over the original, it looks like you're kind of starting in the beginning. The first lessons (on common misspellings, words that look / sound alike, etc) look wonderful and very applicable today as well.

However, since you're asking, I'd question the need for the student pages, since they are going to be basically the same every lesson. The beauty of these old-fashioned books is that they don't waste any pages and you can fit an entire (meaty) lesson on one page. Presumably, a slate or something paper-saving would be used for student work - as admirable a concept in 2012 as it was in 1864. :-)

Alternatively, I might just use blank lined paper - as we do for FLL. There's a place for fancy narration / notepaper and a place for plain Jane student writing paper. :-)

I did consider doing without the student pages. They aren't really necessary, as you say. Mostly they would save the kids from drawing and labeling columns for some of the exercises and keep everything tidy so it will be easy for me to look over their papers quickly. I don't intend to print the teacher pages. I plan to add in various exercises that aren't in the vintage book as well. Basically it will just be a bit easier to implement with the student pages. I will be able to use it with three kids, so it seems like it will be worth the initial effort to me.

You are absolutely right that the student pages could be done without. I have actually already done some exercises with the kids to get the feel for how I want to do this in the long run. I wrote the exercises out on index cards and they've been using a notebook. :)

Some of the words are strange - notably, "troublous." I think this is where I'd say "troublesome" or something... looking over the original, it looks like you're kind of starting in the beginning.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will pay more attention to leave outdated words like troublous out of the exercises. :)

I like it. I might put the rule on the student pages though.

Thanks for the input. Do you mean you would rather the rule be on the sheet for the student to copy instead of the teacher dictating the rule out loud? Or do you mean you'd rather the rule be on the sheet and the student not be instructed to copy the rule?

Not who you were replying to, but...

I think you should leave it the way it is and let the student copy the rule. More likely to stick with them.

I think writing out the rule should help them remember. Also on the third day they are to try to recall it on their own, first orally, with prompting if necessary, and then write it down. I've found copywork useful in the past for memorizing, as well as oral recitation. It really helped the kids with their multiplication facts. :)

Actually, this made me wish that I could do it with a dry erase board.

I do use a dry erase board for letter practice. It is one I picked from Target that had the manuscript lines printed on it. We use it with the wall cards for printing letters with the 5yo. I dislike paper.

As a matter of fact, I have a dry erase that is roughly 12 x 12 that we use for math word problems with the oldest too. We use it in so many ways, including writing times tables.

As for the rules, you could make this copywork or use a printout to include in a memory book, like many of us use.

Actually, this made me wish that I could do it with a dry erase board.

I do use a dry erase board for letter practice. It is one I picked from Target that had the manuscript lines printed on it. We use it with the wall cards for printing letters with the 5yo. I dislike paper.

As a matter of fact, I have a dry erase that is roughly 12 x 12 that we use for math word problems with the oldest too. We use it in so many ways, including writing times tables.

As for the rules, you could make this copywork or use a printout to include in a memory book, like many of us use.

You could definitely use a whiteboard. It would be especially easy with the exercises in the vintage book. I'm adding quite a few types of exercises which would still be doable with a whiteboard, but would just be easier and quicker to do on a daily basis with the student pages.

Example (something like this, not sure if this will keep the formatting!)-

abridge + ment ______________

judge + ment _______________

argue + ment _______________

etc.

Example-

Break the words into root and suffix.

argument ________________ + _________________

abridgment ________________ + _________________

judgment ________________ + _________________

etc.

So you could still definitely do this on a whiteboard, just faster and easier with the student pages. I *think* in the long run, getting to use it with 3 kids, I'll be saving myself time, lol. I have a four year old, so every 5 minutes I can cut from our daily school routine helps. :) She's totally occupied playing with the big kids while I'm making the worksheets. During school there's a good chance she won't be otherwise occupied without my help, kwim?

I meant I'd rather have students copy the rule than make the teacher dictate it. This probably stems partly from laziness on my part, but also I'm not sure how much my kids focus on what they hear dictated is saying. They are too focused on just trying to remember the words to get meaning.

Okay, I understand what you are saying. I think my kids probably do this too, focus on remembering when I dictate instead of focusing on the meaning. I think this is really what I want from dictating though. I want to help them remember the rule. The exercises should help them actually get the rule, kwim? They won't be able to do the most of the exercises correctly without actually getting the rule. Some they would because they may already know how to spell the word. I will definitely be watching them do the first couple or helping them through the first couple to be sure they get it. This is what we've been doing already. Any mistakes made are a chance to reinforce the meaning of the rule.

I realized I didn't finish my thought on my previous post because I was distracted during it. Great job is what I mean to say. I think it looks good the way it is. What age is this meant to be used with?

Thanks! I would think grade 4 and up, but I'm sure it would depend on the student. I haven't found an easy way to check what grade level the words are, but I should at least compare them to some grade level lists. My kids I'm using this with are 10 and 12, 4th grade and 6th grade.

Thanks! I would think grade 4 and up, but I'm sure it would depend on the student. I haven't found an easy way to check what grade level the words are, but I should at least compare them to some grade level lists. My kids I'm using this with are 10 and 12, 4th grade and 6th grade.

Will you be posting the finished files? Need a Beta tester? Can you tell I like the looks of it? :D

Will you be posting the finished files? Need a Beta tester? Can you tell I like the looks of it? :D

I'm really hoping to publish the finished pdf, which would include both books, for sale. I'm putting a lot of time into this and would love to be able to make a few bucks to put towards homeschool materials. I'll probably post some more weeks as I finish them, at least 2-4 more weeks worth. I'd like to provide a large sample for people to peruse anyhow. :)

Btw, thanks! :) I think it is coming out rather nice. It may be awhile before it is complete though. It'll likely take longer to proofread than to make.