Menu

POLL: S/O:Why do you make things from scratch?

What is your #1 motivation in making homemade items?  

1. 1. What is your #1 motivation in making homemade items?

• to save money
    • to cut out preservatives
    • to live more green
    • to have a higher quality product
    • to be more self-sufficient
    • simply because it's enjoyable despite any drawbacks
    • other

I cannot pick. Avoid intolerances(gluten/dairy/soy), save money, avoid preservatives, taste better, I get a satisfaction from it- all of the above. However, I always have limited time and energy with small kids especially so sometimes I do go with store bought or just without. For example I can get Bubbie's pickles that are lactofermented for the same cost I can make them right now and everyone likes the taste. However, I cannot get a mayo for a decent price that isn't full of crap so I make my own.

Count us in the "others" who do it to make sure things are allergy-free. Especially when it comes to baked goods, it is just much less stressful to take the time and make it at home rather than worry about cross-contamination issues. I do think that we usually end up with a higher quality end result :).

Other - to avoid food allergies.

Other - to avoid gluten. Before diagnosis I also did it to avoid processed foods and their various anti-food ingredients - preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, trans fats, etc - and to have a higher quality food to eat too. So that is still part of my reason but not being sick trumps even those and I cook nearly every meal we eat. It's a bit exhausting at times but the payoff is there too.