Menu

If reading CVC words and loving ETC...

Mandylubug

what do you seasoned mom's recommend for spelling/reading? I know many recommend AAS and it does look interesting but I am seeking other options as well.

Anyone just use ETC and supplement with another? They like their independence and feel growny filling out their workbooks without my assistance typically.

I do read out of the 100ez lessons to them periodically but they would rather flip to the back and attempt to read the longer stories and are protesting the scripted sessions of repeating sounds after me. They bring me books all day long and we sit and read and they are really trying.

Will the ETC help them push past the CVC words? I don't want to eliminate ETC but find something to add to it.

I would recommend getting the Writing Road to Reading book. It has spelling and LA lessons in it, although it is hard to wrap your head around it at first. It teaches the spalding method, which is basically teaching the whys on spelling instead of just teaching sight words. All the spelling rules are indentified in this book as well. It would be a good addition to the ETC books.

I used The OPGTTR to get past cvc words though I never used the book as suggested - I just copied out the lists of words, taught the sounds by giving her a flashcard of the sound we were working on and then got her to read the word lists. Then I reinforced the sounds we were working on by pointing out words in books she was reading or in books I read to her that had that sound in them. It worked well because the majority of the phonics we did was in books she was enjoying anyway. My daughter is starting to spell on her own so I have done nothing about that yet, though I may just use the flashcards I made to teach the sounds to play games with her to get her to spell later - in teaching the phonics I have discovered the spelling rules I never knew as a child.

If they don't like the script of 100 EL I would get Phonics Pathways. It is basically pages with words for them to read for each of the phonics rules. It is a spelling program also. However, I would wait till they are reading more fluently before introducing spelling (JMO). I taught my middle dd to read using PP, ETC, and BOB books (then any book she could get her hands on). I wish I would have done it this way with my oldest. It was so easy. My son is more kinetic so I will still use PP. I'll just take the words off the page and use magnets, and hands-on games. The nice thing about PP is that it is so flexible. You can use it however you see fit, knowing they are getting all the phonics rules.

ETC and Bob books (or other leveled phonetic readers like "I See Sam") complement each other nicely. I wouldn't bother too much about spelling (it's in ETC) or reading comprehension or anything like that. Early readers have a big task ahead of them in just decoding the words.

ETC and Bob books (or other leveled phonetic readers like "I See Sam") complement each other nicely. I wouldn't bother too much about spelling (it's in ETC) or reading comprehension or anything like that. Early readers have a big task ahead of them in just decoding the words.

I have not purchased the BOB books yet due to the cost per set and actually wondering if I should skip the first set since they are reading CVC words already..... Does BOB books go past CVC words? They are starting to learn easy blends such as ch/tr/sm, etc. on their own. I am thankful they want to read EVERYTHING they come to and really just want to continue to feed their "thirst" for reading independently.

I have to mention that I got SO frustrated at Barnes and Noble the other day with so many of the "readers" being chock full of sightwords. Apparently most people teach sight words now and that isn't an issue for most? Bob books and one other supplier was the only phonetically decodable readers I could find :/

I'll second Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways. My 6yo really likes the pyramid stories in RP (each line is the same but with more words/details).

I also agree with not worrying about spelling until they are reading fluently. Until they get to about a 3rd grade reading level, it's enough just to be decoding imo. When reading becomes fast and automatic, they'll already have picked up a lot of the basic spelling and grammar rules and be ready for more focussed study. ;)

As to 100EL: I love the program, and it works getting kids quickly to a sold 2nd grade level (plus by the end they're reading 200+ words on a page, which imo sets them up to not be intimidated by real books and their eyes are better trained at reading close lines of words and blending (as long as you keep on them to read with constant sound). BUT I loosened up on the scripted stuff. If they are at CVC, you might just try reading the words, skim to see if there are new skills (like telling whether they can hold a sound), and then go to the story (which I only ever had them read once without interruption, only the occasional help or "good"). You can always just note what some of the rhyming words/sounds are and play that as a game later in the day (without referencing 100EL): "I start with "ssss" and rhyme with mope, what am I?" I also skipped the handwriting part. :D

some things just make sense all at once, ha ha. I just have to share this. I have been researching everyone's suggestions and I ran across a book I remember reading in a first grade "special" class. I remember being pulled out of class to go with this one teacher and I remembered accomplishing this one book and being SO proud when I did. So, I decided to call my mom and speak to her about my personal road to reading in PS. She then continues to inform me that I was "slow" at learning to read compared to my class mates but when it did finally click; I soared and went above and beyond my grade level.

Some of this information would have been helpful to have known. All of my nephews that just happen to be my girls ages are reading chapter books and in PS. I honestly some days just felt defeated that we are still on CVC words. I do remember my oldest son being slower in PS before it clicked and he is above his "grade level" now.

Anyway, thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. I am researching all of them!

:iagree:Don't worry about spelling now. We don't do it until we're done w/ all the ETC (which BTW, we save book 4 for last, I think it can be a hard concept for young kids). Yes, it is hard finding beginning readers b/c they do so quickly jump into the sight words. We started to learn sight words and then backed off. DS was reading them soon enough b/c he was able to read them not memorize them. So I'm not a big fan of pushing sight words.

We used BOB books level 1 jsut b/c we were excited to read books around here, but didn't want to spend the money on more. I'd recommend starfall.com specifically here http://www.starfall.com/n/level-a/learn-to-read/play.htm?f - (you used to be able to print these out, but I know you had to really search for it. Not sure if you can still print or if it's possibly easier to find.)

We also supplemented ETC w/ Phonics Pathways (have one for sale :001_smile:). B/c it started to move faster than CVC, but was still decodable. I think that's a huge part of our reading success.

Another resource that I think is great are the k12 readers. it's a set of about 30-36 books that start out w/ no sight words and slowly introduce them. Sometimes you can find them used on-line, but I didn't find any when I searched just now.)

Lastly, read w/ your child and just help them through the sight words and let them do the words they know. They'll get there.

HTH!

:iagree:Don't worry about spelling now. We don't do it until we're done w/ all the ETC (which BTW, we save book 4 for last, I think it can be a hard concept for young kids). Yes, it is hard finding beginning readers b/c they do so quickly jump into the sight words. We started to learn sight words and then backed off. DS was reading them soon enough b/c he was able to read them not memorize them. So I'm not a big fan of pushing sight words.

We used BOB books level 1 jsut b/c we were excited to read books around here, but didn't want to spend the money on more. I'd recommend starfall.com specifically here http://www.starfall.com/n/level-a/learn-to-read/play.htm?f - (you used to be able to print these out, but I know you had to really search for it. Not sure if you can still print or if it's possibly easier to find.)

We also supplemented ETC w/ Phonics Pathways (have one for sale :001_smile:). B/c it started to move faster than CVC, but was still decodable. I think that's a huge part of our reading success.

Another resource that I think is great are the k12 readers. it's a set of about 30-36 books that start out w/ no sight words and slowly introduce them. Sometimes you can find them used on-line, but I didn't find any when I searched just now.)

Lastly, read w/ your child and just help them through the sight words and let them do the words they know. They'll get there.

HTH!

Yes, we are HUGE Starfall fans. Although, if I walk away, they let the program read it for them. I couldn't find where to print the actual books but I did see where I could print the worksheets that went along with the books. I may end up doing that. I also saw where I could purchase the readers for 20. Not a horrible price; but being that they are free online we will save that money I suppose. I had also found Progressive Phonics for free online. Nothing wrong with the program; just didn't grab their attention.

So, since you used Phonics Pathways with ETC, can you tell me how you coordinated them together? Or did you do each separately? Right now, I just choose a time for them to do ETC or their manuscript workbooks, etc.. nothing is coordinated together.. just "assigned"