Menu

How does this sound????? ...evaluate my 1st grade choices

FO4UR

Bible/History:

Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament

SOTW 1 (getting CD and AB too)

MP Famous Men of Greece, and Rome (we won't do it all)

Some kind of encyclopedia (ideas please;)), or reference for life/culture w/pics...

Library books (I've got All Through the Ages 3rd ed. coming for book selection, although I'd love to hear your favorites for SOTW1)

Literature: AO suggested list/schedule

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Korean ( starting w/ Korean b/c we have family who speak the language)

Science: I'm see-sawing between Apologia Astronomy and just making a big Notebook/scrapbook for nature study as we go. I have a book for 1st-2nd grade science experiments (various concepts) that I found free so I could do one experiment per week combined with the nature notebook. I think both would be wonderful, but I can't decide which:confused: dh thinks we should go with FREE (go figure:tongue_smilie:), but I've heard so many raves on Apologia and I don't want to miss out.

I found "I Can Do ALL Things" CHEAP for art:hurray: so I just need to buy supplies. I am a musician, so I'm teaching singing, piano, and general music ( I knew my degree was good for something:lol:).....praying for a violin teacher.

I've already got SWR for reading and Miquon for math, so I've got the basics and am spending K preparing ds to really dig into these when he's 6yo.:) It's just the rest that I'm obsessing over:lol:

What am I missing??? (besides a few extra hours in the day:lol:) What are your experiences with these materials? How can I schedule all this in (with a 3yo and a 2yo tagging along for the ride)

TIA

Is your child already reading? Do you need phonics? We just finished first grade and I tried to focus on math, writing (handwriting and narration), spelling. I read many history and science things to my ds, he read others himself.

Many days, we could not do much science beyond reading a bit, same for history. I prioritized math, writing and reading over these.

We have SWR for reading/phonics/spelling. He is beginning reading, but certainly not fluent yet. He understands how to decode and knows his letter sounds and a few other phonograms. Math - he's picking up by osmosis it seems. The 3R's will definitely be the 1st things in the daily schedule.

Your plans look fine to me, we are also going into first. We are using Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History with SOTW, you can see my plans here. I have no idea about scheduling with having youngers around since mine's an only, but we do try to get bible, math and reading done first that way I know that they will get done, everything else is gravy and can wait a day! Hope that helps!

Just so you know, the MP guides to Famous Men are quite challenging. If you are just planning to read the stories aloud (not do the exercises) they may or may not be a good fit for your child, However, if you are thinking about using the actual workbooks, unless he is reading significantly above grade level they probably won't be a good fit.

We're using FMOR next year, so I have it here... random chapter...

Lesson 10

Facts to Know (people and places from the text)--Manlius Trorquatus, Appius Claudius, Appian Way, Lucius Posthumius, Phrrhus, Pyrrhic Victory, Cineas

Vocabulary (from the text, use a dictionary to look up the words)--encamped, torques, valor, prows, rostrum, pulpit, aqueduct, ambassadors, toga, Coecus

Comprehension Questions--What is the first duty of a soldier? Describe Manlius Troquatus' reputation and give and example of how it was earned. What were three responsibilities of a censor? Why did Posthumius visit Tarentum? Describe the Tarentines' treatement of Posthumius and Posthumius' reaction? Describe Pyrrus' most unusual weaon and its effectiveness in battle. What did the Romans say about the clever and eloquent speeches of Cineas?

Activities--Explain how and why the term Pyrrhic Victory came to exist. Can you think of some examples of pyrrhic victories in history? Identify on your map of Ancient Italia and memorize: Tarentum, Epirus, Mt. Vesuvius. In which two Famous Men of Rome stories do fathers condemn their sons? Which is similar to the biblical story of Saul and Jonathan?

I haven't seen FMOG, but I remember reading that it is more challenging than FMOR. We did the D'Aulaires study last year successfully, but my ds is very accelerated in reading and comprehension level. Even so, I think FMOR might have been a bit much last year! We're starting it this next year, so I may have more insight after completing it, but that was my first thought looking at your schedule. YMMV (as I am well aware, lol), but thought I'd let you know if you haven't seen a hard copy yet.

Just so you know, the MP guides to Famous Men are quite challenging. If you are just planning to read the stories aloud (not do the exercises) they may or may not be a good fit for your child, However, if you are thinking about using the actual workbooks, unless he is reading significantly above grade level they probably won't be a good fit.

We're using FMOR next year, so I have it here... random chapter...

Lesson 10

Facts to Know (people and places from the text)--Manlius Trorquatus, Appius Claudius, Appian Way, Lucius Posthumius, Phrrhus, Pyrrhic Victory, Cineas

Vocabulary (from the text, use a dictionary to look up the words)--encamped, torques, valor, prows, rostrum, pulpit, aqueduct, ambassadors, toga, Coecus

Comprehension Questions--What is the first duty of a soldier? Describe Manlius Troquatus' reputation and give and example of how it was earned. What were three responsibilities of a censor? Why did Posthumius visit Tarentum? Describe the Tarentines' treatement of Posthumius and Posthumius' reaction? Describe Pyrrus' most unusual weaon and its effectiveness in battle. What did the Romans say about the clever and eloquent speeches of Cineas?

Activities--Explain how and why the term Pyrrhic Victory came to exist. Can you think of some examples of pyrrhic victories in history? Identify on your map of Ancient Italia and memorize: Tarentum, Epirus, Mt. Vesuvius. In which two Famous Men of Rome stories do fathers condemn their sons? Which is similar to the biblical story of Saul and Jonathan?

I haven't seen FMOG, but I remember reading that it is more challenging than FMOR. We did the D'Aulaires study last year successfully, but my ds is very accelerated in reading and comprehension level. Even so, I think FMOR might have been a bit much last year! We're starting it this next year, so I may have more insight after completing it, but that was my first thought looking at your schedule. YMMV (as I am well aware, lol), but thought I'd let you know if you haven't seen a hard copy yet.

Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't planning on doing the guides. What I want is more of just some bio's with pictures to read aloud. I probably will only do a few people out of each book for 1st, and hang on to the books for 5th and 9th grades (at which point i might look into the guides).

ds has very good comprehension in read alouds. We read KJV Bible often. Do you think it's too much for read alouds???

Your plans look fine to me, we are also going into first. We are using Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History with SOTW, you can see my plans here. I have no idea about scheduling with having youngers around since mine's an only, but we do try to get bible, math and reading done first that way I know that they will get done, everything else is gravy and can wait a day! Hope that helps!

Awesome plans! Thanks for sharing!:)

I would just go with the nature notebook for science, save Apologia for another year. Also, I really think doing SOTW and MP FMO books is overkill. If you are just going to listen to the SOTW on CD, and read the others, maybe it will work, but I just would not overload too much on history in 1st grade. Concentrate on math, reading, and some really good read alouds.

Looks good.

For History SOTW I should be enough. The Famous Men books can be a bit dull to say the least and I put them up until the second cycle through. I found that we could usually just take the topic of the SOTW reading for the next week and search my library for books and found all kinds of wonderful things to look at and read.

For 1st grade not to miss books--Jan Brett's First Dog, Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Greece by Aliki, Max and Ruby's Greek Myth books, Aesop's Fables by Milo Winter (not all just pick a few here and there), Usborne Book of Greek Myths for Young Children, and there were a lot of really neat books at our library on stories from the Bible. Like we found some neat ones about Creation, Noah, Jesus, etc. We also found a neat book about Gilgamesh that was just a snippit in picture book form.

The Greeks were our favorite part and we divided SOTW 1 into 3 semesters (OT & Egypt, Greece and Rome.)

Sounds like you have literature figured out and a foreign language.

We tried Apologia Astronomy in 1st and it was too dull. After fretting over science for so long, I am finding that it works best for us to just have a nature/science notebook, check books out from the library on topics we are interested in and make notebook pages, lapbooks and/or experiement pages to show what we are learning.

So you have art and music--I just let the kids have access to supplies and once and a while we get on a project kick with history and let that be art.

Sounds like you have phonics and math figured out too. Really you focus should still be on reading, penmanship and mathematics and the rest should just be for fun.

I hope you have a wonderful year.:001_smile:

Thanks Christi!

I think I'll pass on the FMO books, and Apologia Astronomy for now. MUST.KEEP.THINGS.SIMPLE.:lol: Knowing my ds, he will love getting books from the library for history, and he'll love making his own science notebook. (someone link this thread to me when I start changing my mind LOL!)