Menu

another recommendation request for exercise help

I don't want to hijack the other thread, so I thought I'd start another. I haven't exercised much in the past couple of years since hurting my foot, but I really need to find something to help me get back in shape. We have a Wii, so a Wii game would be good, or a dvd, or even better, free videos available on-line. I need something that's low impact because of my foot and something that involves a lot of stretching (by advice of doctor). I don't need to lose a lot of weight, but wouldn't mind dropping 5-10 pounds, but I do really want something to tone my muscles and give a cardio workout. Any suggestions?

It's not cardio, but my first thought is yoga. You would want a flow yoga, Astanga based yoga, or Kundalini (sp??) because they would be the best for toning. There are a lot of yoga DVD's. I own one by Shiva Rae that is good, Yoga Shakti. But I mostly use an online streaming service called yogatoday.

http://www.yogatoday.com They have 1 free class a week, but you can buy unlimited access to all of their classes for just $10 a month.

For cardio, if it didn't bother your foot, I would recommend cycle/spinning. That would be low impact and get your heart rate up. Even an inexpensive indoor bike would work. Swimming is also excellent, but it requires access to a pool.

Have you looked into T-Tapp? Sounds like just what you're looking for. It was specially designed because of back problems and other issues. Short workout, very low impact, effective. The website has samples and video demonstrations so you can get a feel for what it's like. Several different kinds of workouts are available - I have the Basic Workout Plus and the Step Away. It seems they have new ones available.

http://t-tapp.com/

I'll check out the yoga recommendation, thanks.

I have a couple of TTap dvds that I got maybe 5 years ago. I really liked the workout, but felt like it made me thicker around the middle instead of slimming there and tightening the abs, and that's the main place that needs slimming.

I second the yoga suggestion! It'd be right up your alley with stretching, strengthening, & low-impact. Depending on the variety/instructor/etc, you can get a decent cardio workout, too. It can be "stealthy" cardio, b/c you aren't jumping around, but, believe me, you can get your heart pumping doing a nice "flow" yoga in challenging poses! It's also fun and relaxing!