Menu

Spelling ? How best to present this rule?

ThreeBlessings

I've begun teaching the kids some spelling rules. I'm considering the pluralizing of words ending in f or fe. In reading online and a reference book from the library I notice that the rule is usually written as words ending in f or fe change f to v before adding es to pluralize, then some exceptions are listed. My problem is I see a lot of exceptions to this rule and I'm wondering if it is valuable presented as a rule? This seems like you really need to lists of words, one with change needed, one without, then they will need memorized. Is there more to this rule?

Examples:

f or fe to v then add es

thieves

leaves

knives

lives

elves

shelves

calves

loaves

wolves

halves

just add s:

gulfs

roofs

safes

proofs

cliffs

plaintiffs

puffs

sheriffs

waifs

chiefs

handkerchiefs

And what's up with hoof, scarf, dwarf, and wharf? I've seen them all spelled both ways as plurals seemingly correctly.

I don't think there's a rule. I think you just teach words which change without trying to make a rule. And I wouldn't teach them all at the same time, either, but just as part of a spelling list in general.

There may be something to do with those words' original languages, but still, that wouldn't be a *rule.*

This seems like you really need to lists of words, one with change needed, one without, then they will need memorized.

I agree, I would teach like words together. Only about half of them will change the f/fe to v and add es. 50% isn't a "rule" in my book, but it's worth noting as a generalization that about half of the words ending in f/fe will do this, and then teaching those words from lists.

And what's up with hoof, scarf, dwarf, and wharf? I've seen them all spelled both ways as plurals seemingly correctly.

Yup, gotta love English!

There actually are some rules in this area, though it's definitely true that it is full of its share of its exceptions. Note for example the following:

-ff -> -ffs

-ief -> -iefs

-aif -> -aifs (e.g. waifs, naifs)

-lf -> -lves (with an exception, gulfs)

-afe -> -afes

-ife -> -ives (with an exception, fifes, probably because "fives" is already assigned)

... etc.

See? A collection of mini-rules with a dose of exceptions for good measure.

Edited by Iucounu

Iucounu-

The Spelling reference book I'm looking at breaks it down like this-

nouns with ie, oo, rf, ff, gh, add s to pluralize (thieves as exception)

nouns with long e, long i, and the el sound change f or fe to ves to pluralize

words patterns don't cover- calves, loaves

Does that sound right? I'm trying to figure out the easiest to understand summary to help them. Of course that doesn't cover the words you included with long a, such as safes and waifs. So maybe add to the above nouns with af and ai add s? Would that work? Hmmmm. Too complicated! lol :)