Menu

Silly Self-Discovery

I've just discovered that I am 10 times better at teaching (or learning:001_smile:) when the book I'm using is spiral-bound. It's totally worth the $6-8.50 binding job at the copy/print shop. I'm now looking at my school cabinet and thinking, "No! These texts are ineffective! I must have everything spiral bound!"

Have you discovered anything new about yourself lately? Something that makes you more or less effective as a teacher? It doesn't have to be about school. It could be something you thought you liked to eat but found you didn't or something you thought you couldn't do anymore but discovered you still can. Any silly (or serious) self-discoveries recently?

I'm a MUCH better teacher (and just all around parent) when I get up early BEFORE my children. I used to sleep in until I heard the first one getting up. Then I would be all groggy and rather impatient until I had "woken" up more.

Now I try to set my alarm to at least an hour (if not depending in how early I get to bed the night before) so I can check the computer, drink some coffee, watch the news, blog, check facebook, etc.

I wish I could say I was strict about this but sometimes I still sleep thinking if I could only get another hour I would be better off. But sadly- when I get up I'm just a grumpy gills.

Kristen, I'm the same way. I KNOW I should get up earlier, but I can only seem to get up 15 minutes before the kids, and that is not enough time to do anything. I've got to work on going to bed earlier.

Bethany, I was that way about avocado. Now I can't get enough!

Ooh, I had a similar avocado discovery a couple of years ago myself!

I wish I could get up before my kids. But they would outdo me. As it is, I don't let them come out of their rooms until 6 am. If I got up and about at 5, I'm sure there would be no way to stop them from doing the same.