Menu

LLATL

JOHNNABONNA

I am not sure what ages you are looking at, so I may help or may not.

For my older crew we used Tan through Gold and it was wonderful.

~~We found that the grammar was just right and not the continuous over and over that you get with most programs.

~~The writing was very good for us as well. My kids wrote some wonderful papers, and it proved well for their transition to college.

~~Spelling they were already good at to begin with so I can't really say how it would have worked, but I lean more toward learning to spell from reading now anyway.

~~We loved the books and the studies except for some of the British Gold books.

For my little one we tried the Blue and Red and it didn't fit her needs. She did enjoy the activities that we did do, but her reading skills zoomed right past those in these two levels. I am considering trying her in the Yellow as it seems to be a better fit. So far I have no experience with Yellow through Purple.

You will read reviews and hear some folks say that it is too light. Most likely those people are wanting very rigorous, or have not used LLATL long enough to see just how well it really does work. If a child is weak in one area then supplementation *may* be needed, but only if there is a weakness.

We worked our way partially through the Tan book. It was not what I expected. The book studies were disjointed and had little to do with the weekly studies. They didn't fit in well at all. TBH, Moving Beyond The Page's lit studies did a much better job accomplishing the tasks that LLATL set out to do.