Menu

Question about English/Latin grammar sequence

The Governess

Let's say you are using a rigorous English grammar curriculum with your student.

Let's also say that you want your student's first exposure to Latin to be through a very thorough Latin grammar course.

When would you introduce Latin grammar studies?

When would you discontinue English grammar studies?

Would these studies overlap, or would you assume that English grammar would continue to be learned through Latin grammar, and that upon introduction of Latin you could stop teaching English grammar?

Assume that the goal is both mastery of English grammar and the ability to read fluently in Latin by the end of high school.

:001_smile:

My oldest child's strongest subject is LA, so my plan for her is to build a solid foundation of English grammar and then try switching to Latin Road to English Grammar to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I have heard mixed reviews about using LRtEG in this fashion but I think that in her case, it just might work. If not, I can always try adding Daily Grams.

I haven't totally decided when to start LRtEG. DD is not quite there yet. Possibly 2nd semester of 5th (we HS year-round) or 1st semester of 6th.

My oldest child's strongest subject is LA, so my plan for her is to build a solid foundation of English grammar and then try switching to Latin Road to English Grammar to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I have heard mixed reviews about using LRtEG in this fashion but I think that in her case, it just might work. If not, I can always try adding Daily Grams.

I haven't totally decided when to start LRtEG. DD is not quite there yet. Possibly 2nd semester of 5th (we HS year-round) or 1st semester of 6th.

Crimson Wife, I hope you update us on how this goes! I've been considering the same thing for when we finish FLL/LivelyLatin1.

I think it partly depends on what programs you are using for Latin and writing and what your comfort level is for including English grammar with those studies. Our goals are a little different but here is my current plan (it still has several holes!):

Grades 1 & 2: copywork, narration, dictation, and some simple grammar (this will include parts of speech, sentences and sentence types, and basic capitalization rules) in English from stories that we are reading

spelling

informal introduction to Latin (songs, prayers, and probably some story books, etc./ this will have already started, especially for the youngest kids)

Grades 3 & 4: start more formal English grammar (probably MCT)

formal writing program (Classical Writing)

spelling

semi-formal Latin (I Speak Latin, plus possibly some other basic work, like copywork of songs and prayers that are already familiar)

Grades 5-8: most likely continue formal English grammar for at least 2 years

formal writing program (Classical Writing, which includes grammar, though does expect you to complete a separate course in this age range)

finish spelling, if not already done

formal Latin (Visual Latin in grades 5 & 6 + something else/hopefully finish formal grammar by the end of grade 8/would like this to include formal grammar, as well as plenty of translation both Latin to English and English to Latin and reading in Latin)

Grades 9-12: continue formal writing program (Classical Writing)

no English grammar, except what is included in writing program

read Latin texts

Latin composition course (Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition)

In your case, maybe start Latin in grade five, and continue English grammar through 6-8th grade. Also, make sure to continue to review English grammar through writing all the way through high school.

I think it partly depends on what programs you are using for Latin and writing and what your comfort level is for including English grammar with those studies. Our goals are a little different but here is my current plan (it still has several holes!):

Grades 1 & 2: copywork, narration, dictation, and some simple grammar (this will include parts of speech, sentences and sentence types, and basic capitalization rules) in English from stories that we are reading

spelling

informal introduction to Latin (songs, prayers, and probably some story books, etc./ this will have already started, especially for the youngest kids)

Grades 3 & 4: start more formal English grammar (probably MCT)

formal writing program (Classical Writing)

spelling

semi-formal Latin (I Speak Latin, plus possibly some other basic work, like copywork of songs and prayers that are already familiar)

Grades 5-8: most likely continue formal English grammar for at least 2 years

formal writing program (Classical Writing, which includes grammar, though does expect you to complete a separate course in this age range)

finish spelling, if not already done

formal Latin (Visual Latin in grades 5 & 6 + something else/hopefully finish formal grammar by the end of grade 8/would like this to include formal grammar, as well as plenty of translation both Latin to English and English to Latin and reading in Latin)

Grades 9-12: continue formal writing program (Classical Writing)

no English grammar, except what is included in writing program

read Latin texts

Latin composition course (Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition)

In your case, maybe start Latin in grade five, and continue English grammar through 6-8th grade. Also, make sure to continue to review English grammar through writing all the way through high school.

Thanks for sharing your plans!

I'll share what I *hope* to do, whether it is feasible or not, I do not know. :D

I am slowly introducing Latin right now to dd7 with Getting Started with Latin. I would like to finish that up by the end of 3rd grade and then slooowly start working on Wheelock's (or Henle first if that's too big of a jump) in 4th, hopefully getting through Wheelock's by the end of 7th grade, or maybe 8th grade, and afterward working on original texts with periodic grammar review.

What I am trying to figure out is how much overlap there will be in English and Latin grammar. When we are deep into Latin grammar study in the logic stage, will going through a full English grammar curriculum at the same time create a lot of redundancy in our studies? Or will it be possible to simply supplement the Latin grammar with some English grammar here and there, where necessary, and otherwise call it done?

For example, if dd finished with R&S 6 in 5th grade (we are studying a year ahead), could we drop English grammar in 6th and focus exclusively on Latin without missing much? I plan on using WWS after we finish up WWE, and so grammar would be reinforced in the writing also.

will it be possible to simply supplement the Latin grammar with some English grammar here and there, where necessary, and otherwise call it done?

I think this may be possible, although SWB said in her audio lecture that she finds the study of English grammar necessary even while doing Latin, because the students are learning to write in English, not in Latin.

If you follow a sequence like KISS Grammar's, which has 5 levels, you can start level 1 now (in Gr 2) and finish levels 4 & 5 in fifth grade. Then you are done with English grammar and can focus on Latin and writing for the rest the school years.

if dd finished with R&S 6 in 5th grade...could we drop English grammar in 6th and focus exclusively on Latin without missing much?

Yes, I think so. You can then resume English grammar with R&S 7 in seventh grade and finish in eighth grade with R&S 8.