Menu

Can you help? Quick Q re Core Knowledge

Hi, Can anyone familiar with Core Knowledge tell me please, what's the difference between the Core Knowledge Sequence book and the series What You X Grader Needs to Know? Do the grade specific books have different information, or is it the same but with more detail, or what?

Hi, Can anyone familiar with Core Knowledge tell me please, what's the difference between the Core Knowledge Sequence book and the series What You X Grader Needs to Know? Do the grade specific books have different information, or is it the same but with more detail, or what?

The Sequence book is more like reading the national science "standards" list and the What Your X has the stories, the art, examples of the math, etc. One is written towards adults only, the other towards you and your child.

The Sequence has more information.

Here's the site where you can download it for free:

http://books.coreknowledge.org/home.php?cat=314

Its been years since I used Core Knowledge, but if I remember correctly the big sequence book goes into more details, but without them being fleshed out. For example, in the What your X grader Needs to Know books, there are actually literature samples, samples of problems, etc. Those aren't present in the Sequence, just the name of the book. I really liked it - plus there were lesson plans that could be adapted available for free on their website. Obviously, it was geared mostly to classroom teachers, but there were some great ideas.

HTH!