Menu

Anyone read "Wife Dressing: The Fine Art of Being a Well-Dressed Wife"?

Did you like the book? I think it looks like a fun book, and I am looking for some light reading during our break week next week.

I've been wanting to read this for a while now, and I can't get the updated 2008 reprint through my library system (even using inter-library loan). Is it worth buying? Is it one of those books that is fine to just own on Kindle ($15), or should I spend a couple dollars more on a hard copy ($18)? I think I really want the hard copy, but then I don't have any daughters to pass a book like this on to and I am trying to be more aware of what is taking up space on our bookshelves. I can't tell for sure, but it appears that there are not pictures in the book, so maybe the ebook would be fine.

And I wanted to add - did you find it helpful in putting together your own wardrobe? I feel like I really need to spend some time and money on a wardrobe update after this baby arrives - when I look nice, I feel nice and I act nicer. But left on my own, I am rather clueless.

If you have other suggestions, please share!

It's a reprint from a 50s era book, with some updated information. Here's a blurb from chapter 1. Here's the amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Wife-Dressing-Fine-Being-Well-Dressed/dp/0979338425

From chapter 1, "The first principle of wife dressing is Complete Femininity -- the selection of clothes as adornment, not as a mere covering ... the wedding ring is only the beginning. When your husband's eyes light up as he comes in at night, you're in sad shape if it's only because he smells dinner cooking." - that generated a gag reflex, I'm not that dedicated of a wife, I guess. :lol:

Another blurb:

"You are you. You are not the model in that photograph or the girl beside you in an elevator of a woman eating lunch at the next table. What they are wearing may stop traffic, but be sure it's right for you before emulating the effect." - this is good, be yourself, wear what is right for you.

I have no opinion on the book, except that I could never take it seriously, and can't tell if you're supposed to.

And I wanted to add - did you find it helpful in putting together your own wardrobe? I feel like I really need to spend some time and money on a wardrobe update after this baby arrives - when I look nice, I feel nice and I act nicer. But left on my own, I am rather clueless.

If you have other suggestions, please share!

Do you have Netflix? I rented a DVD called What Not to Wear, which were TV show episodes. I learned so much from watching that DVD. They also have some full episodes on Youtube that are interesting. I think there are two TV shows with that name, one in Europe and one in the states. I watched the one filmed in the states.

They also have a book with the same name that I got at my library, but I like the TV episodes much better.

Have fun shopping.