Menu

Hormones and SPD

Has anyone gone through puberty with a dd who is a sensory avoider? Is there anything worse about hormones with SPD?

My 11 yo dd always been very even-tempered and easygoing, but we're seeing some changes recently, especially in her relationships with her younger siblings. Some days she's just not her pleasant self. The day before last she was miserable all day and wouldn't eat because nothing suited her (SPD). Then she just started crying, and I was sure it was blood sugar by that point. Today it seems like she's in a funk again, but now she's eating at least.

I remember with my oldest, I'd find her in her bed crying and ask, "What's wrong?" And she'd cry, "I don't know!" She wouldn't be miserable all day, though. Because she was never particularly easygoing anyway, it didn't seem like such a significant change from usual. This time it's different.

Any stories to share?

I can't answer as a parent with a child who is avoiding but I can answer as an adult aspie with severe avoiding SPD who's been there done that.

My teen years were hell. My SPD still gives me a lot of problems but I know it is mainly because I was not diagnosed until adulthood.

is she in OT for the SPD?

I had overwhelming depression and anxiety all through my teens years and lasting until i was in my early 20's then things became manageable again. But again i was misdiagnosed and such. there is much greater outcomes and such with today's therapies. if she isn't in therapy I'd look into that and a good neuro who is knowledgeable in SPD

I can't answer as a parent with a child who is avoiding but I can answer as an adult aspie with severe avoiding SPD who's been there done that.

My teen years were hell. My SPD still gives me a lot of problems but I know it is mainly because I was not diagnosed until adulthood.

is she in OT for the SPD?

I had overwhelming depression and anxiety all through my teens years and lasting until i was in my early 20's then things became manageable again. But again i was misdiagnosed and such. there is much greater outcomes and such with today's therapies. if she isn't in therapy I'd look into that and a good neuro who is knowledgeable in SPD

Thank you so much for your reply.

Dd was in OT for a very short time, two months, due to a very limited insurance benefit. We have no more coverage for OT. I honestly have to say OT didn't help dd much. It helped me to understand SPD better and to make adjustments to help dd, but that's all really.

Please share what kind of therapy you mean. Is it counselling? And do you mean a neurologist when you say neuro?

Even though we live in an area with a lot of medical resources, there doesn't seem to be too many good choices for pediatric neurologists. My pediatrician complains about it, and a friend who has a job that requires her to look at the pediatric neurologists reports says they are often completely useless. I've never heard of a neurologist who is familiar with SPD but perhaps I should start looking.

Have you tried stuff from the Out of Sync Child books? Have you tried a single line swing with a weighted collar? Brushing? Other sensory like getting a dog? Vitamin d? Time outside for fresh air? We're having unusually nice weather, so the kids were outside most of the day today! It's just good for them and helps their mood. Does she eat fruit? Fruit can improve appetite, and so will the fresh air.

My dd was sleeping a lot, which people chalked off as the age, and it has now totally improved by putting her on a supplement for mild allergies (quercitin). It's probably just dust and stuff, but it made a big, BIG difference.

Sensory is huge though. Our single line swing gets used a LOT. You can get a Sky Chair, but what we have was just a hammock style seat my MIL had in her basement. Anything is better than nothing. When they get that sensory, it puts them back in their peaceful spot.

PS. Is she high stim or low stim? Does she need STRONG input or gentle? It's best to figure that out before you start doing stuff to her. That way you can do it to the level she needs. Like when I get massage, my mt says she works me harder than anyone she has ever worked (including big men!). I just don't feel it if she does it softer. My dd is the total, utter opposite, go figure.

yes a neurologist. I'd find one who is knowledgeable in autism as they will likely also know about SPD. Also check out raising a sensory smart child.

We bought the hanging chair/swing from ikea and that helps my son who is a sensory seeker out however myself I'd rather have a nice comfy chair and and something to occupy my mind. As a teen what I had and really needed was a cave :lol:

for real though I put blackout curtains up in my room so it could be pitch black at any time of day, I had black lights so I could still put on light but not be bright in my room. My bed was a mattress on the floor that was made up super cozy and I still have my bed like that to this day. It was my place to go whenever I needed to get away.

Also finally getting on a good medicine really helped my SPD and anxiety issues for me that was luvox which is an SSRI.

Warning - this comment gets into the nitty gritty:

I have an avoider (dd13) and my biggest concern as we approach full-on puberty is dealing with her period. I can't imagine that she's going to be okay about wearing a pad. I noticed that there are sellers on etsy who make cotton (non-disposable) pads...might end up being an option for us.

Mine is also just terrible with hygiene in general. She HATES bathing/showering (Again, spd issues). I've finally figured out a system that works, but she still doesn't want to do it. She does put on clean clothes every day...it's the best I can do right now.

Anyone with experience who can share some wisdom here??

I hate the cotton ones. There's a kind at the health food store that is much better, Natracare. It comes in different lengths, so you can mix them up to get the level, length, etc. she needs. They're very, very thin. The cotton are really THICK, ugh. You're going to feel like a biblical Rebekah on a camel with cotton, yuck. Natracare is what you want.

Warning - this comment gets into the nitty gritty:

I have an avoider (dd13) and my biggest concern as we approach full-on puberty is dealing with her period. I can't imagine that she's going to be okay about wearing a pad. I noticed that there are sellers on etsy who make cotton (non-disposable) pads...might end up being an option for us.

Mine is also just terrible with hygiene in general. She HATES bathing/showering (Again, spd issues). I've finally figured out a system that works, but she still doesn't want to do it. She does put on clean clothes every day...it's the best I can do right now.

Anyone with experience who can share some wisdom here??

Not much wisdom here, but hugs! :grouphug:

My DD12 is a super-sensory avoider who started her cycle two years ago. She just sort of had to learn to suck it up on the pads issue, unless she wanted to be extremely embarrassed. I got her the thinnest ones I could manage as well as some pantiliners and she just does what she can handle that day. Sometimes we have a bit of a mess, but most of the time she manages okay. Of course, she has also completed a round of OT, a round of VT, is on an SSRI and is currently doing neurofeedback, so I can't really say she just managed...we have helped her a lot. Her hygiene remains horrible, however, and she will lie to avoid a bath, etc until she is blue in the face! I hold out hope that she will soon find being non-smelly around the boys she crushes on to be more important than avoiding the tub!

Has anyone gone through puberty with a dd who is a sensory avoider? Is there anything worse about hormones with SPD?

Any stories to share?

The emotions are the worst. Seriously, I think my DD12 has lost her ever-loving mind! Her cycle can send her into some horrible rages. It ain't pretty. Her medication is the best thing I have found to manage it. SSRIs can help a lot.

I hate the cotton ones. There's a kind at the health food store that is much better, Natracare. It comes in different lengths, so you can mix them up to get the level, length, etc. she needs. They're very, very thin. The cotton are really THICK, ugh. You're going to feel like a biblical Rebekah on a camel with cotton, yuck. Natracare is what you want.

:lol: Thanks! I'll head to Whole Foods instead. (I've been wanting a new pair of Tom's anyway. ;))

Of course, she has also completed a round of OT, a round of VT, is on an SSRI and is currently doing neurofeedback, so I can't really say she just managed...we have helped her a lot. Her hygiene remains horrible, however, and she will lie to avoid a bath, etc until she is blue in the face! I hold out hope that she will soon find being non-smelly around the boys she crushes on to be more important than avoiding the tub!

SAME with my dd. Did OT help that situation at all??

Yeah, Whole Foods has ALL the kinds! Make sure they have wings and are the thin ones. They're wickedly expensive. Don't buy the regular ones that look thick, as they're unbelievably thick. Once you find what she likes, you can get a slight discount by buying a case of them. Usually it's like 10 or something. I've never looked online. That would be smart, lol.

SAME with my dd. Did OT help that situation at all??

Yes, I think the OT made a tremendous difference, though she definitely has further to go. Neurofeedback has also been great for all my SN kids, though my DD still struggles with symptoms of ODD that NF can't treat.