Menu

Is anyone familiar with Words Their Way?

I am looking ahead to summer vacation when my ds11 is out of ps. He does not "qualify" for a 12 month program in N.Y. state since he doesn't show enough regression. However, he is significantly below grade level in all areas. He does qualify for regular summer school, which is 4 days a week for a couple of hours. Honestly, it is more like they are just babysitting him for part of the day. I have never seen any gains academically. I guess their goal is just to maintain the skills he has. So, I plan on boycotting summer school this year!!

His sp. ed. teacher mentioned the Words Their Way program recently. I started looking into it and it seems like it is a way to teach spelling based on word patterns since ds has never learned any traditional spelling rules. WTW uses activites such as word sorts to compare and learn patterns within words. I really need something that would not require tons of handwriting due to motor issues.

Sorry - I tend to be long winded all of the time:). I gave a lot of background info, but really just want to hear about any pros/cons of this program. BTW, ds has autism.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the responses. I recently found Words Their Way Homeschool Bundle on the CBD website. I am assuming it is the same "style" as WTW, but more user friendly?? I cannot find any samples though, so I am hesitant to spend the money. I really hate when publishers won't let you look inside. For me, that is a deal breaker since I don't have money in my hs budget to take chances, KWIM?

YES! I am looking for info about this also! My daughter is 9 and I think she has some processing issues. She's a terrible speller. (For the record, I am also a terrible speller, so I get it.) Someone recommended Words Their Way to me but I can't find any samples of the books, I don't know anyone who has used it and I can't find any information for parents on how the thing looks or works or which levels are what -- it's making me crazy.

We are on a super tight budget so I really need to find this used and it is nowhere :blink::blink:

I would so appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ds11 has started using this in ps, but I can't seem to figure out how the program works based on the activities he brings home.

I ended up just ordering the homeschool bundle from Christian Book. If it doesn't work out, we will try something else with him. Eventually, we will find something that clicks:).