Menu

Fitness Gurus: Overtraining?

So, I've been reading about overtraining and am getting some differing expert opinions. Some say that you shouldn't work the same muscle group more than twice a week. And to do more means that you are overtraining and will be breaking down muscle instead of gaining it. Others say that overtraining isn't so common and that it's ok to have short stints of "over-reaching" when you are working harder than normal with only a short-term loss of performance. Others seem to say that as long as you aren't really too tired and are still able to do as well, that it's ok.

I've a bit confused. I'm coming off of many years of being a semi-invalid so obviously moving into doing exercise has been a stretching experience for my body. I don't have a day when I am completely pain free esp. if you count soreness as being "pain". So injunctions to only work out enough so that you aren't sore, doesn't seem to be practical for me.

I've been working out 5 days a week. All of the things I've done have been full-body work-outs with different muscles being perhaps used more on different days. Mondays are cardio kickboxing, Tues., Thurs. and Fri.. are Zumba, and Wed. is swimming (which admittedly is my lighted day physically). I'm off on Saturday and Sunday. I do see a big difference is what I am able to do now versus what I was able to do even months ago so even though I'm not losing weight I think I must be gaining some muscle in order to do more. Is this kind of exercise program wrong because they are all full-body work-outs? I enjoy doing all of these things and don't want to cut down my routine unless it really would be better for me.

Last night was cardio kickboxing. We had our "drill sergeant" as an instructor last night so the work-out was pretty intense. I have to admit to not being able to talk just 5 min. into the 60 min. work-out. I was sweating buckets and wanted to throw up a couple of times by the end (but didn't). Aleve has been my friend. I'm sore but was still able to go and enjoy Zumba tonight. Was having an intense work-out like that ok on occasion? I perversely felt happy working out that hard because I was proud of myself. I still felt like I got a good work-out tonight at Zumba but it wasn't nearly as intense.

Could you please help explain all this exercise stuff to me?

So, I've been reading about overtraining and am getting some differing expert opinions. Some say that you shouldn't work the same muscle group more than twice a week. And to do more means that you are overtraining and will be breaking down muscle instead of gaining it. Others say that overtraining isn't so common and that it's ok to have short stints of "over-reaching" when you are working harder than normal with only a short-term loss of performance. Others seem to say that as long as you aren't really too tired and are still able to do as well, that it's ok.

I've a bit confused. I'm coming off of many years of being a semi-invalid so obviously moving into doing exercise has been a stretching experience for my body. I don't have a day when I am completely pain free esp. if you count soreness as being "pain". So injunctions to only work out enough so that you aren't sore, doesn't seem to be practical for me.

I've been working out 5 days a week. All of the things I've done have been full-body work-outs with different muscles being perhaps used more on different days. Mondays are cardio kickboxing, Tues., Thurs. and Fri.. are Zumba, and Wed. is swimming (which admittedly is my lighted day physically). I'm off on Saturday and Sunday. I do see a big difference is what I am able to do now versus what I was able to do even months ago so even though I'm not losing weight I think I must be gaining some muscle in order to do more. Is this kind of exercise program wrong because they are all full-body work-outs? I enjoy doing all of these things and don't want to cut down my routine unless it really would be better for me.

Last night was cardio kickboxing. We had our "drill sergeant" as an instructor last night so the work-out was pretty intense. I have to admit to not being able to talk just 5 min. into the 60 min. work-out. I was sweating buckets and wanted to throw up a couple of times by the end (but didn't). Aleve has been my friend. I'm sore but was still able to go and enjoy Zumba tonight. Was having an intense work-out like that ok on occasion? I perversely felt happy working out that hard because I was proud of myself. I still felt like I got a good work-out tonight at Zumba but it wasn't nearly as intense.

Could you please help explain all this exercise stuff to me?

Overtraining is a matter of trial and error just like diet (sorry!). Bodybuilders usually work one muscle group a week. Athletes don't. Could you see a competitive runner only running once a week? So I think the best thing to do is to look for signs of overtraining and they are kind of weird especially if one has underlying conditions. So here is my guide:

Fatigue

loss of appetite

loss of enthusiasm

insomnia

plateau

carb crash during exercise

decreased performance

Fatigue to me means complete and totally exhaustion, not just out of breath from exercise. If I have overdone done it, I wake up feeling like I have the flu or hungover. I am drained before my eyes open.

Yes, it is beneficial to over reach in your exercise but not forever. Insanity and other forms of HIIT training are like that.

HTH

I am no guru. I'm exercising right now and have exercised over the years, sometimes more and sometimes less, doing various things.

I think it's tricky reading "expert" advice and applying it as an average person trying to be fit. Information in Muscle Magazine or Runners World doesn't necessarily apply to us. If I had 2 hours to exercise every day, I would do things differently. But with 30 minutes to an hour--I need the most bang for my buck to make my whole body healthier. I go for general, overall, fitness.

You have 3 very different activities in Zumba, kickboxing, and swimming. You are healthier and you talk about those 3 activities with enthusiasm. I think that means, generally, that you have a good combination. And since only 1 of those a week seems to max you out (the kickboxing) I would think it will generally work.

Along with what LG said, I would add that if you start leaving a class and consistently saying "that didn't do much" you might have progressed out of something and need to change a class.

If you are feeling good and enthusiastic most of the time, continue what you are doing.

If you are feeling drained or unhappy, change.

I know it sounds oversimple -- but really, you're not trying to be a pro bodybuilder. You're trying to be a healthy woman who does activities she enjoys. Right?

Thank you everyone! I do enjoy what I'm doing and am able to recharge by the next morning most of the time. Every now and then I hit a wall but then I take it easy and rest.

If you are feeling good and enthusiastic most of the time, continue what you are doing.

If you are feeling drained or unhappy, change.

I know it sounds oversimple -- but really, you're not trying to be a pro bodybuilder. You're trying to be a healthy woman who does activities she enjoys. Right?

Right.