Menu

Favorite poetry anthology?

I enjoyed using this: http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Poetry-Mountains-Battles/dp/1579122825/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328057466&sr=1-18

There aren't a lot of poems in the book, but they include some of my absolute favorites. Plus, each one is described in a way that really helps kids learn about the poet and the context and how to talk about poetry. I think my kids were K and 2nd grade when we read a poem each evening. They loved it!

It's funny you should mention this because I caught a thread yesterday about MCT and its poetry books, and someone listed several good poetry books/anthologies with some info about each one.

Here is the thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343521&highlight=MCT+poetry

I decided we could use some poetry reading/study around here and found one of the ones she recommended used on abebooks.com for only $4.99 including the CD!

Hope the link helps!

Christina

My personal favorite is Grosset & Dunlap's Illustrated Treasury of Poetry for Children because it is comprehensive, sophisticated and clever, but Sing a Song of Popcorn is gorgeous (some really wonderful illustrators were involved) and somewhat more approachable.

Holy Cow!!

Your blog description is EXACTLY how I think! That's too funny!

If it makes you feel any better I'm in OC, so I'll have this county covered. :001_smile:

I am planning to try IEW's Poetry Memorization next year and we will see how it goes. We do memorize poetry.

These are some of the favorites from my shelf. For the littlest learners I like Mother Goose and the board book Eloise Wilken's Poems to Read to the Very Young. I like the Ambleside Yr1 free online poetry, The Random House Book of Poetry for Children and Grass Sandals: The Travels of Basho for the early grades. The Random House Book of Poetry is one of my favorite anthologies to just open and read. Grass Sandals is a picture book that is used in one of the FIAR volumes. I like Classic Poetry: An Illustrated Collection and All the Small Poems for middle grades. My boys liked All the Small Poems by Valerie Worth. SL uses it in their Eastern Hemisphere. The poems are very short, almost Haiku-esque and often only the title tells the object being described. You can read the poem and have them guess what you were describing. Later in middle school/ early high school I like Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle... and (for poetry instruction) somewhere in there both my big boys also did The Grammar of Poetry. This is pretty boy oriented. These poetry books were used by both my big boys and the little guy has started on them. My oldest went on to use the rhetoric stage poetry from The Harp and the Laurel Wreath. It was not fabulous, but he didn't complain.

Shakespeare is very, very boy friendly. Julius Caesar and Macbeth are both very, very boy friendly and very easy to follow. My oldest likes Robert Frost and Poe. He memorized Puck's epilogue from Midsummer Night's Dream in junior high and can still say it. My middle ds likes Issa and haiku in general.

I have these on my Amazon wish list. I can't review any of them, but don't they look fun!:

A Kick in the Head

Color Me a Rhyme

Cool Melons- Turn to Frogs!

Guyku: A Year of Haiku for Boys

HTH-

Mandy

Holy Cow!!

Your blog description is EXACTLY how I think! That's too funny!

If it makes you feel any better I'm in OC, so I'll have this county covered. :001_smile:

HAHA! Awesome! If we have to flee south, we're coming to your house!