Menu

Academic integrity

Yolanda in Mass

I'm looking for an opinion here. My son's best friend was charged with violating the school's academic integrity policy because he was seen looking at another student's test. However, that's not the whole story, and this is where I would love to hear others' opinions.

The professor made it clear to the student that she knew he did not "benefit" from looking at another student's exam as he did not copy the answer; in fact he left it blank. She also stated that she knew that my son's friend was very anxious taking the exam (a lab practical) as she saw him moving around a lot and appeared anxious.

Nevertheless, she took all the points from the exam away from him and said that she could only evaluate whether the student had violated the school's policy based on "actions" not on "motive". So she didn't charge him with "cheating" but with "looking at another student's exam" which is a violation of the school's policy.

Interestingly, I read my older son's school policy and it does not include "looking at another student's exam" but rather "cheating or representing another person's work as your own".

I'm curious as to what others think of this action and policy. Given that the prof knew the kid hadn't cheated (in the usual sense of the word), it seems a bit harsh. Yes, he should have kept his eyes off others' exams, but to give the kid a zero when she knew he hadn't copied? How about taking 1/2 off or some other lesser penalty? The poor kid ended up failing the class due to the loss of so many points.

I'm looking for an opinion here. My son's best friend was charged with violating the school's academic integrity policy because he was seen looking at another student's test. However, that's not the whole story, and this is where I would love to hear others' opinions.

The professor made it clear to the student that she knew he did not "benefit" from looking at another student's exam as he did not copy the answer; in fact he left it blank. She also stated that she knew that my son's friend was very anxious taking the exam (a lab practical) as she saw him moving around a lot and appeared anxious.

Nevertheless, she took all the points from the exam away from him and said that she could only evaluate whether the student had violated the school's policy based on "actions" not on "motive". So she didn't charge him with "cheating" but with "looking at another student's exam" which is a violation of the school's policy.

Interestingly, I read my older son's school policy and it does not include "looking at another student's exam" but rather "cheating or representing another person's work as your own".

I'm curious as to what others think of this action and policy. Given that the prof knew the kid hadn't cheated (in the usual sense of the word), it seems a bit harsh. Yes, he should have kept his eyes off others' exams, but to give the kid a zero when she knew he hadn't copied? How about taking 1/2 off or some other lesser penalty? The poor kid ended up failing the class due to the loss of so many points.

How did she know he looked at the exam as opposed to staring into space? Sometimes people thinking stare with their eyes unfocused.

Does he admit he was reading answers on others' tests?

I don't understand what you are saying the differentiation is. If he was looking at others' papers, then doing the actions of cheating is cheating. It might not cause a student to change an answer, but just confirming that your own answer to a question you are 90% sure of is cheating.

I don't agree with her decision at all. He could have looked by accident, in an un-focused way or even one of those things where you KNOW you're not supposed to look but for whatever reason you can't NOT look (does that make sense? lol).

If he didn't cheat then he didn't cheat. Black and white in my eyes.

Difficult situation, because it is nearly impossible to prove what a student is doing unless caught in blatant copying.

Many schools have a procedure that has to be followed if a student is accused of violating academic integrity. That often includes a formal hearing where the student is allowed to state his point. So I would first inquire whether the school's official policy has been followed.

As an instructor, I would feel very uncomfortable in a situation like this. It is very difficult to say what to make of "looking at somebody's exam" - in most cases it would be the precursor to a cheating attempt (which is why, when I notice a student's eyes wandering, I call him to order and position myself in such a way that he feels observed throughout the remainder of the exam; this is usually sufficient to thwart any actual cheating). But the prof can not read a student's mind.

So, he should look at the schools official policies and see if he has any due process.

How did she know he looked at the exam as opposed to staring into space? Sometimes people thinking stare with their eyes unfocused.

Does he admit he was reading answers on others' tests?

I don't understand what you are saying the differentiation is. If he was looking at others' papers, then doing the actions of cheating is cheating. It might not cause a student to change an answer, but just confirming that your own answer to a question you are 90% sure of is cheating.

The student told her that he wasn't even aware that he was looking at others' tests, so, no, he didn't admit to something he didn't do. Was he staring with eyes unfocused? It sounds like he was.

The differentiation in this case is that the professor told the student that she knew he didn't "benefit" from looking cause his answers were left blank. I guess she was able to tell which question he was working on based on which microscope he was working. That's why he wasn't charged with "cheating". If you read my OP he was charged with "looking at another person's exam". The school policy makes a distinction.

Difficult situation, because it is nearly impossible to prove what a student is doing unless caught in blatant copying.

Many schools have a procedure that has to be followed if a student is accused of violating academic integrity. That often includes a formal hearing where the student is allowed to state his point. So I would first inquire whether the school's official policy has been followed.

As an instructor, I would feel very uncomfortable in a situation like this. It is very difficult to say what to make of "looking at somebody's exam" - in most cases it would be the precursor to a cheating attempt (which is why, when I notice a student's eyes wandering, I call him to order and position myself in such a way that he feels observed throughout the remainder of the exam; this is usually sufficient to thwart any actual cheating). But the prof can not read a student's mind.

So, he should look at the schools official policies and see if he has any due process.

This really bothers me as it seems so harsh. My son's friend is a hard worker and a very nervous kid when he takes exams. I had asked my son about the school's policy, and he said his friend looked into it and the policy has been followed to the letter. As for due process, would a lowly, scared freshman really stand a chance in a "the professor says/I say" situation with the dean of the school as the mediator in an appeal?

As for due process, would a lowly, scared freshman really stand a chance in a "the professor says/I say" situation with the dean of the school as the mediator in an appeal?

I do not know anything about your school.

In some institutions, the asymmetry is the other way around and the administration hardly ever backs up the instructor, even in more clearcut cases.

If the policy has provisions for a formal hearing, he should try.

A little will depend on how the school administers their honor courts. At some schools students actually decide cases not faculty or administration.

It seems that based on the code you've given and the professor's own testimony he has not broken the code.

However, I have a younger son who always appears to be looking around for help in similar situations. I've told him over and over that this is not a place to rely on his own intent, he must, must, must learn not to have the "appearance of evil" in these sorts of situations. An academic career can be ruined by even a small error. I suggest that all vacant staring should be directed at the ceiling. This won't help this young man, but could help others.