Menu

Today will be very interesting

Bang!Zoom!

If anyone here is interested in hearing the outcome of today; I'll be glad to talk about it-could help someone that wears similar shoes as myself. Long story short; dd is going in a 2 hr. literature block.

The first half is genre study (in this case, fantasy fiction) and the second half is in novel writing. I will be sitting in to observe (not assist, just observe).

Two things I'm interested in personally here.

One: How well she does in a extreme age-disproportionate class. She will be by far the youngest; she's nervous a bit about it.

Two: How she takes instruction (academically) at a level aimed several years ahead from someone other than me, and with material I've never covered with her.

The classes are very small, less than 8 kids total. I'm sure that helped. And total major kudos to the parents of the other kids who were charming, polite and welcomed her and helped her feel at home right away.

The teacher is also a published author, 18th century history is his area. He did not water down anything at all content wise. He allows discussion and interruption as long as it's quality interruption, so it's very lively and not dry at all.

I ended up taking over five pages of notes myself while listening in, later tonight we'll compare the kids notebook with my notebook and condense them together, print them off and put them in a binder.

You ever watch Book talk TV on CNN? He (the teacher) is a lot like listening to Alistair Cooke, very dignified, knowledgeable and something of a mystery. Just a really intelligent man with a love of literature and the crafting of story.

He's probably some famous dude and I don't even know it. He gives off the vibes you feel when you are around someone who is not only well-read, but well-traveled. Neat guy.