Menu

Classical conversations: Challenge A

I am curious about Challenge A and how much work it is. I had posted before that my son was not liking Essentials. The thing is, I just caught him up on 12 weeks of grammar in 1 week. He got it. He told my hubby that he doesn't get it in class, but when I went over it, he understood it. Yay! He likes foundation alright, doesn't love it. He as been through two cycles. Recently we have been doing Latin at home and he loves it. I am just wondering if Challenge would be a good idea or not. He will be almost 11 1/2 by next fall. So, if someone could give me pro's and con's, I would appreciate it.

The general rule is that they must be 12 yo to be in Challenge, though you may find a campus that will make an exception.

My dds were in Challenge A, taught by me, several years ago at 11 and 13 yo. I did not find it to be too much work, though I worked it to the most rigorous end I could within the program, and we easily added several subjects at home. Other students were struggling to keep up with the work load. I think it depends much more on the ability level of the young person and what they are used to than on Challenge itself.

The tutor really makes or breaks it, too. There is just a bit of training, so you really need someone who knows the materials and how to teach.

Does you son work well independently?

My dd12 is in challenge B - she skipped challenge A. Her assignments are in a large binder, they spend an hour on each subject, their assignments are quite clear, and require them to be disciplined. She starts her homework on the way home from cc and works every day for at least 4-5 hours -- she is meticulous in her work and she loves to work.

My twins will be in challenge A in the fall. They are in Foundations/Essentials now -- they have a love hate relationship with essentials. Our life would be infinitely easier if essentials was only IEW writing -- my kids do not care for Essentials Grammar -- they much prefer MCT.

If you have any questions, please ask. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

The tutor really makes or breaks it, too. There is just a bit of training, so you really need someone who knows the materials and how to teach.

Can you explain more what you mean in regards to this? :) If they have been a tutor before for foundations but not Challenge A does that make a difference?

Can you explain more what you mean in regards to this? :) If they have been a tutor before for foundations but not Challenge A does that make a difference?

Tutoring Foundations is nothing like Challenge, so that wouldn't make a difference to me. I would want to know how long they have known Latin, how long they have taught IEW, what their experience teaching a group of students is, what their science and math background are, etc. I would also want to know that they have a thoughtful classroom management strategy and will speak positively about education at all times (a Foundations teacher almost single-handedly destroyed my dd's love of learning in the space of one year because of her awful attitude, and it took me another year to detox her, so that's a touchy one for me.) Technically, Challenge tutors are supposed to have homeschooled a child of that age, but I know some places let that slide. I would want to be sure that the Challenge instructor had previously taught that age level/ grade before, too.

. I would also want to know that they have a thoughtful classroom management strategy and will speak positively about education at all times (a Foundations teacher almost single-handedly destroyed my dd's love of learning in the space of one year because of her awful attitude, and it took me another year to detox her, so that's a touchy one for me.)

Wow- that is horrible! I can't even imagine how that would look. I'm sorry to hear you experienced that with your daughter :grouphug: