Menu

Where do I start for history? SOTW & MOH

lfong

Hi,

Last year we didn't do much for history for my dd who is in 1st grade, except listen to the SOTW CD a couple of times and a few chapters in the activity book.

So for 2nd grade, where do I start? Shall I just move ahead to the middle ages for SOTW and then return to Ancients when she is in 5th grade?

I'm also contemplating using MOH because of the Christian world view and appreciate any feedback, especially if you used SOTW.

Thanks.

Lisa

I would move into the middle ages, yes.

I really like the Christian worldview of MOH. I've not used SOTW except in bits and pieces. MOH will have 5 volumes, the third of which came out just a few weeks ago. There will be about 2 more years before volume 4 will be out, and another 2 years for volume 5. MOH does not follow the 4-year cycle, and you will likely have to wait on that last volume.

For me, the worldview of MOH and the timing of the ages of my kids is totally worth the formatting differences of MOH. We use MOH in K through 2nd, going through history quickly for pegs. After that, we take our time through MOH1 and then a year each through the rest of the volumes, leaving 4 years to cycle through the "regular" histories in high school. It is looking like this is what will work best for my particular family.

I'm a big MOH advocate, but you should be aware of the schedule conflicts as far as WTM is concerned. :)

Thanks for the info on MOH.

Did you follow the reccomended reading list in WTM for 2nd grade in following MOH pace? Can you explain a little more about what parts of SOTW you used? Also, how much time did you spend in preparation for MOH?

I asked the same question last year, and decided to start with Ancients. I know every child is different, but my Son got so much more out of it this past year than I believe he would have when he was 6. We actually didn't finish the entire thing, and will continue in August. We love it.

I have used both and am currently using MOH. It will depend a great deal on a few things - the ages of your children, their interests, and your interests. Since you have a second grader next year I would be more inclined to start with MOH 1 because it gives such a thorough view of ancients and Bible mixed. This is really a perfect age to start MOH, in my opinion. You will really lay a foundation for the middle ages. We have absolutely loved MOH and this is our second time through history. We used mostly SOTW as well as other books from Nothing New Press (plus a lot of historical fiction, biographies, picture books, Usborne, and DK books). We used whatever books we were interested in reading and what would add to our study at the time. Finding the books, via recommendations from SWB or All Through the Ages or from catalogs like Veritas Press that list their books in time period have been wonderful resources for us.

If you are totally "done" with Ancients and you feel you have covered them well - then move on to Middle Ages. But keep in mind - that is what *I* would do. We have really enjoyed our second time through and have learned a good deal more this time with MOH and it has kept our interest the entire study. We have really loved knowing when the things happening in the Old Testament have meshed with ancient history. Sometimes we learn things separately from each other so it disjoints our mental timeline. Many stories from the OT were going on at the same time something big in ancient history was going on. In my opinion, MOH is the only one that really meshes the two well. If you don't want that you will not like MOH. :)

Oh, and one more thing - it does not matter when you start your history cycle. I see people kind of freaking out about "losing a year" or "not doing enough" or whatever. My advice, after eight years of homeschooling, is that it is better to enjoy the time you have together and enjoy the subject you are studying than worry about how many cycles you will or won't have. It robs you of the joy of today. None of us are promised tomorrow--enjoy learning with your children today.

:)

I was trying to do the 4-year cycle several years back and got bogged down with the last SOTW book. I feel that my children do not have a grasp on American history, so we're planning on do this in the fall (see post below if you can help me). With MOH do you study American history (taken out of the context of whatever else is going on in the world)? Just wondering. I sounds like several of you REALLY like MOH. It's great when you find something that works for you.

Thanks,

Diane

I have to agree definitely MOH if you want a Christian worldview. I woud probably start with vol I, but you wouldn't have to. WP uses MOH as a spine so you could see the supplements they use for extra reading/crafts/etc. (though you don't need to for a 6 year old)

Just as a thought, you might also look at VP's history. They integrate the biblical events in a way that it sounds like would appeal to you. It would be a bit more age-appropriate than MOH. You can use MOH, but it's still written for older kids, might need to be slowed down, etc. We've done VP OTAE, NTGR, MARR, and are now going into the american history. Guess you could say it's a winner here. And then you can keep going with your SOTW audio cd's on the side if you want.