Menu

Grade 6 and up

cjbeach

Looking for input....

My almost 11yo ds has high functioning ASD... pick a dx... pdd/nos hyperlexic trait versus Aspergers. Homeschool works for him. Classical Conversations (Foundations only this year) works and gets him in with other kids. There are ZERO schooling options for him here but I need to go back to work. Actually I will be working in the office of our biz. I'm sending my younger 2 to a B&M school in August. But my 11yo... no options other than homeschooling.

He's entering 6th. I would really like to get him into a boxed curriculum, an online school, a distance ed program, something more "packaged" that will carry him through until graduation. I will add in my favorite curriculum on the side, but I want the foundation laid through a program.

I'm weighing the following: the Keystone school which now has a middle school program, FLVS (FL virtual), Seton, MODG (both Catholic), or Ace/PACES. I'm looking at a diploma program.

Academically he has the ability to do well, he has a normal IQ, but with his dx he has a few limitations. We have a private writing tutor which has really been a benefit for his composition skills.

I will have to take him into the office with me, so he needs something that will require a bit of independence (that will allow me to get some work done). We're looking at it as a vocational school, he'll be getting his work done and also learning the business. I may still do CC one day a week or a local "drop-off" homeschool academy one day a week to get him in with peers.

Any ideas/input would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

-Kathy

I'm guessing it's not the content of classes that would be most difficult but negotiating all of the organizational, communication skills, and extra problems that come via long distance education.

There are some online programs that are self paced but still graded. Parent would assign final grade. This would free you up except for monitoring and final grades but not as much pressure.

Some curricula are more independent than others.

If mixing and matching different levels of support and independence, I'd prioritize.

If I had to jump off board as the main teacher, I'd opt for a live online math class 2-3 times a week, and live writing.

History and science I might look for something more self paced.

There are quite a few threads in logic and highschool about online class options and the level of support.

Just some thoughts.:grouphug:

Kolbe looks wonderful with all the guides. They will work with you on the curriculum and it seems a lot more flexible then seton! We use FLVS with public school in high school and it works out great. I have found my sons online teachers to be amazing. They go above and beyond what our in school teachers do at times to allow modified assignments. It is dry and not like Kolbe. Kolbe was very helpful when I called them...they explained how they alter the programs for different kids and have full diploma programs. My son did wonderful with Sonlight but it was far from independent. I had to read a lot. That was the best curriculum he used as far as retention.

For math we are using Lials (both my Pdd and aspie) and I feel it is very easy to follow along with and understand. My son was using TT but he didnt really get any retention with that for whatever reason.

Oak Meadow was another option I was looking at with my PDD son...they seem to have it all laid out in a clear daily plan.

I'm late in replying and I don't know if the OP will see this but we use Keystone and I just want to warn that there are many writing assignments and no way to modify the program. The only control we have is the pace. I have a little experience with the middle school since my youngest dd, not Aspie, took 2 courses. We actually transferred her into the high school program because if she was going to put that much work into school, I wanted it to count for something. My ds15, Aspie, is a 10th grader and has been with Keystone High School since the beginning of 9th grade. The writing assignments are the biggest challenge. I've had a couple of moms of Aspie teens say their sons wouldn't be able to do this kind of program. I have to sit with my son while he does all of his work. He'll do a few things somewhat independently, but for the majority of it, he needs me right next to him. My son wouldn't be able to do this program independently.