Menu

AoPS Algebra 1 question

Ds15 is signed up to take the AoPS Algebra class that starts in about a month. I understand these classes move at a pretty fast pace and my question is:

Does this class cover the fundamentals? He will not have taken their Pre-Algebra class prior to this.

He just finished Counting and Probability and it assumed prior knowledge of a lot of Algebra. We had to do a crash course on several topics.

AoPS Intro to Algebra does not require a prior knowledge of algebra. My children used it (the book that is used for the class, not the class) after having completed Saxon 8/7. Prealgebra knowledge should be solid, and the student should be prepared to work hard.

ETA: Intro Counting and Probability is designed for students who have mastered basic algebra, as explained on the AoPS website.

ETA: Intro Counting and Probability is designed for students who have mastered basic algebra, as explained on the AoPS website.

I spoke with Mr. Rusczyk when we were first considering AoPS. He suggested Counting and Probability and then Algebra 1. I have to say that after experiencing the class (Wowza!), I am a bit confused as to why he recommended it that way.

My son loved the class, but I did challenge him (an understatement).

Other than math you already know from Counting and Probability, I'd make sure he has a firm foundation in exponents, fractions, and negative numbers.

This is all covered in the first chapter of the algebra book, but is probably too much to take in if it is the first exposure.

He definitely has a strong foundation in pre-algebra with a fairly good knowledge of basic algebra. He does need more work on polynomials and the quadratic equation. It just did not get covered well in our other course.

After the Counting and Probability course, he at least knows what is expected of him. Hopefully, this class will go a bit smoother.

Thank you for your comments.