Menu

History Portfolio questions...

BatmansWife

I just heard about these (sheesh...sometimes I really think I'm the last to know about anything!). Well, now I'm getting confused. I thought, from the website, that there were pages to complete, some to color, cut, glue, etc. But then I read a review somewhere that made it sound like the portfolio binder comes with blank pages (just lines and boxes), and some maps, and you have to think of what to do yourself with the pages with lines and boxes? So.....which is it? :confused: I'd really like it to be already there to just put together and not have to search or think up stuff myself.

Both! the website should have the original History Portfolio for older kids which has the blank pages/maps, and History Portfolio Jr. for the youngers. The junior version includes color/cut/paste pages for you to use. I have only used the original version.

HTH

Here's a description of both Portfolios

Edited by Monkey Island Academy

The "Classic" ones come with blank squares that you can fill however you want *or* you can use the pdf teacher's guides which tell you how you can fill each spot. Your child can color the maps and can cut out the picture or word-search or chart or whatever and complete/color it and paste it into the portfolio. We follow their directions and ideas about 50% of the time. Many times, my daughter (and her homeschooling friend) will want to draw a different picture or summarize a different historical event, or we'll have taken a different direction and just be doing something a bit different. I like that it's flexible like that.

For instance, in the Germanic tribes section, the girls colored a map of the migrations of the Germanic Tribes and the Huns, they cut out a picture of Attila. They did a short dictations about the Huns and wrote a report on Attila the Hun and matched up some famous tribal leaders with their names (all suggestions from the pdf file). But the next section where they were supposed to write a report on the effect of the Huns on the Germanic Tribes and Roman Empire didn't fit with what we were working on. Since we were working on Excavating English, I had them copy a language tree showing Germanic languages, then illustrate some Anglo-Saxon words that are in modern English, then write an Anglo-Saxon riddle and do a short dictation explaining ablaut. Then we caught back up with the pdf and continued on to a summary of Beowulf (which they had just finished reading), and draw a picture of Beowulf... Next I had the girls draw some Norse gods, write an explanation of the Danelaw, draw a picture of King Alfred with a short biography... Then instead of retelling a norse myth, they wrote out the Runic alphabet. Then they moved onto the Vikings...

The "Jr" one (which I haven't used yet, but have in front of me) seems a bit more directed, so it'll be a bit harder for me to improvise (but less cutting/pasting). I think it'll be fine. I have a tendency to want to dig in deep and I need to remember to keep everything light for my younger girl who suffers from a disinterest in anything academic.

I hope this helps! I think you can see some examples on the website...

Edited by Momling

Thank you everyone. So, the classic is blank (other than the maps), and the Jr has coloring, cut, glue stuff. Hmmm....now I'm thinking if we end up doing Jr Ancients this year and Jr Medieval next year that by the time we end up getting to the classic HP...it might be a bit of a disappointment to get only blank pages and maps. :001_huh: :001_smile:

AprilMay,

I have pictures of the actual portfolios on my blog as well as pictures of what comes in the teacher's manual. The teacher's manual has pictures to color, word finds, ect.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/07/history-portfolio-review.html

When I was trying to find info about this yesterday, I kept coming up with your blog. But, I'm having problems finding your review and pictures. Everything I click on just brings me back to the page with the wax museum. Even this link you give, it says history portfolio review in the title. But...I can't find it. I guess I should also mention that when I click on your links....it's a page about Dynamic Views in Blogger and asks if I want to upgrade my browser. If I don't and just click on "visit a non-dynamic version of this blog" then I'm taken to the wax museum page. Maybe I'm being redirected there each and every time?? I don't know....but I've been dyin' to read and see your pictures.

AprilMay,

Thanks for letting me know about my blog. I know blogger seems to work better with Chrome. Anyway, I've taken my blog off of dynamic view, hopefully that will fix the problem.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/07/history-portfolio-review.html

Yay! It worked! :hurray:

Thanks for doing that. Your review and pictures were really helpful. So, I see that there are things to color, cut out, and glue with the Classic HP...it's just in the teachers guide. I'm really looking forward to adding HP to our history study. Thanks so much!!