Menu

Linguisystems question

Thanks, OhEliz! I was reading a beautiful thread that you commented on last night on another board. You have an amazing ability to share a wealth of information with SN newbies in a VERY constructive and helpful way. I am watching and learning. :)

I tried to figure out how to send you a pm but my phone wasn't cooperating last night so I had to wait until I could get on the pc today. (Dear Jesus, pleasepleaseplease drop a laptop from the sky in to my...er...lap!!)

I am ordering the Linguisystems book today. YAY!!

No, not a laptop! You want an iPad!! :)

Sorry, can't drop one for you. I'm waiting for my own birdie.

Yes, I think you'll like it, or at least I hope you will. At first they look easy (and some of the tasks are), but then you start scratching deeper and they wig out. It really gets right to the chase of what isn't working right.

Start with the first book. Don't skip anything, but also don't feel that you have to complete it cover to cover. ...The first secures foundational skills that are not in the second book.

Thanks Michele and Elizabeth. I've looked at both of those and almost ordered one or both of them a couple of times. Just from what I read, it looked to me like the first one covered several school skills that aren't a part of our homeschooling life. (??) Did you find that to be the case?

(I'm thinking about this for my 13 yo son, who doesn't qualify as having any particular "special needs" but I'd like if he were more organized.)

Merry, check, but I thought the table of contents for each book was available online. Yes, the methodology in the book, the checklists, etc. will give you ideas you can carry over to chores, etc. etc. And no, I don't think problems with EF are limited to those with formal SN labels. :)

Merry, Both books do cover some skills that are more public schoolish. I still didn't skip them as eventually DS may need them. The first book helped his working memory the most, this second book is really getting into sustaining attention. You have them read, or listen to you read then you add in various distractions and commands such as when you tap the table they are to do something else like write their name at the top of the page, then go back to what they were doing, you add background noise, etc.

If your DS doesn't have ADHD/EF issues, you may want to look at something like Learning to Learn: Strengthening Study Skills and Brain Power by Gloria Frender. Amazon and Rainbow Resources both have it.

I really like the Learning to Learn book for traditional study skills. I love the layout with bullet points, diagrams, etc. It has lots of white space for those who have trouble keeping their attention on narrative text. I have used this book in the study skills classes I have taught for our co-op.

Still thinking about the Linguisystems books....

Merry, Both books do cover some skills that are more public schoolish. I still didn't skip them as eventually DS may need them. The first book helped his working memory the most, this second book is really getting into sustaining attention. You have them read, or listen to you read then you add in various distractions and commands such as when you tap the table they are to do something else like write their name at the top of the page, then go back to what they were doing, you add background noise, etc.

Did you cover this material daily and for how long? How long did it take to complete the 1st book? I'm trying to determine when and how I can incorporate this instruction into an already packed day.

DEFINITELY!! But I want a laptop too. ;)

If you get an iPad, then look at the iMacs. I LOVE, super-duper love, mine. That way you have something small and portable and something big for editing photos, etc. On my iMac the screen is big, so I can keep open LOTS of things at once. Like right now, well you don't even want to know how much I have open, lol. 11 tabs on my browser, a calendar, stickies, iTunes, email, and then I can fling open to another window (you can have as many as you want and just swipe to get to them) and on that one I have Lightroom (photo editing software) open to the full screen. And when I start doing photoshop, I'll have that on a third screen to swipe to. And when I do word processing I can keep Pages (the mac word processor) open on a screen and have my browser right beside it, making it easy to research and type. Yup, I'm bonkers for the big screen.

My iMac has an SSD btw with all the RAM I could stuff in (16 GB). It's so fast, it makes the iPad look slow. So anyways, I know people like their laptops, but I've grown to LOVE the huge screen. If I do buy something more portable, I'd probably go with an Air. Right now I'm just saving up my pennies and watching need.

Right now I'm just saving up my pennies and watching need.

Exactly why I don't have one yet. I pulled way back on my hours at work in order to homeschool, so we are on a much stricter budget. Worth it, but difficult at the same time.

Having only one pc in the house is a challenge. In fact, I got a note from AT&T yesterday saying I was in the top 5% of data users. Not at all surprising, since I do most of my web-browsing on my iphone.

At this point I don't care what I get; I would be happy with anything bigger than my 2x6 screen!! ;)