Menu

sample of 7th grade dd's writing

8filltheheart

Last yr I posted a sample about this time of yr when dd was in 6th grade. Here is a paper from about a yr later. (She hand writes her papers, so I typed it in. I am pasting it in from word, so I didn't format the poetry lines b/c I knew it would be lost anyway.) Here is a link to the one last yr if anyone is interested in how much progress I would expect to see over a yr......from simple single dimension analysis to a comparison paper. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228187&highlight=narnia

Lucy M. Montgomery's beliefs were similar to those of Robert Browning's character who speaks in "Evelyn Hope." They both express beliefs in reincarnation. L.M. Montgomery tells Ephraim Weber in a letter she wrote to him that she prefers aspects of reincarnation over Christianity. The character from "Evelyn Hope" refers throughout the poem to living multiple lives.

L.M. Montgomery believed that the idea of being able to continuously live different lifestyles was splendid. She thought that heaven did not seem nearly as wonderful: "It is fascinating to suppose that we go from one existence to another, with a restful sleep of so-called death between! To me the idea is a thousand fold [more] attractive than that of....heaven" (Eggleston 38). She also believed that humans are born with a natural instinct which makes them want to stay on earth and dread death: "I'd rather life as it is in this world...[Christians] don't seem in any hurry to go to [heaven]--far from it...It does seem to me that the instinct of humanity thus gives the lie to the conceptions of theologians" (38-39). Thus she thought that reincarnation was preferable.

Similar to L. M. Montgomery, the character speaking in "Evelyn Hope" places hope in reincarnation as he speaks to Evelyn's corpse. He says that his and Evelyn's love was not meant to occur in their current life, but, instead, it is for one of their many lives to come: "Delayed [love] may be for our lives yet,/ Through the worlds I shall traverse, not a few:/Much to learn, much to forget/Ere the time be come for taking you" (29-32). The man also states his belief in reincarnation when he says his last farewell to Evelyn. He places a leaf in Evelyn's hand, because he thinks that doing this that she will remember and search for him in the next life: "See, I shut [the leaf] inside the sweet cold hand!/There, that is our secret: go to sleep!/You will wake, and remember, and understand" (54-56). Both of these examples express his desire for reincarnation.

L. M. Montgomery and the speaker from "Evelyn Hope" both affirm beliefs in reincarnation. L. M. Montgomery wrote that reincarnation is more desirable and that most humans are born with the instinct that reincarnation exists. The man from "Evelyn Hope" also embraces reincarnation both when he says that he and Evelyn are supposed to love each other in a future life and when he shuts the leaf in Evelyn's hand trusting that the leaf will make her remember him in her next life.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart