Menu

Do I have to know Latin if my child is going to learn it & other rambling questions..

anewday

In this thread, WTMindy said:

My dh has heard all the pro-Latin arguments and still doesn't really buy them.

It makes it easier to learn a romantic language (Why not just learn one instead?)

It increases vocab (why not just study a Latin/Greek roots program, where you could get the same benefit)

It helps with English grammar(again, just study English grammar)

It is logical (our kids are already very logical)

It is helpful for doctors and lawyers (most do just fine without having already studied Latin)

I have to say, these are all logical arguments (unless I'm missing something which is always a strong possiblity :tongue_smilie:). And because I've started lately to really wonder if we should pursue Latin, they are carrying weight with me!

My dd really enjoyed learning Latin this year. I have zero interest in it. But from what I've gathered, the parent needs to either a) know Latin or b) learn it alongside of the child in order for the child to really move past introductory Latin.

Here's the thing. I a) don't know Latin and b) don't have the time or desire to learn Latin alongside my child. Am I a bad mom? ;) Do I have to learn this in order for her to be able to have more than one year of Latin? Because if so, I'm not seeing the point to in doing Latin at all - if anything, I'd rather go the Latin roots direction to strengthen vocab.

My initial plan was to do a few years of Latin and then move to a foreign language. I didn't plan to get into advanced Latin and continue several years worth of it.

I guess I'm looking for thoughts on whether 2-3 years of Latin is doable without my knowing it or learning it alongside and whether it makes more sense just to do Latin roots instead, and then have her start learning a language she can use. :)

(And I apologize for such a rambly post....). :tongue_smilie:

Clarification - I don't have "zero interest" in Latin - I actually find it fun to learn the roots part of it. I just don't have any desire to understand derivatives and calistenics and gloobedygoof. I also hate grammar - diagraming was always a mystery to me.

Which all leads me to wonder....should I be homeschooling at all? :lol:

You can also look into finding a tutor if your child wants to continue with Latin beyond what you're comfortable teaching.

But determine the goals you have for Latin learning. Mine are very specific and very ambitious with regard to literacy and composition. If you want your daughter exposed to Latin so that she does well on her SATs and can more easily learn a Romance language as she gets older, bully for you. Keep going. If she wants to keep going with it, let her, so long as it doesn't conflict with your learning objectives for her.

It doesn't make you a bad mom, a bad teacher, a bad homeschooler, a bad anything.

Define your objective. Determine the allowable means of achieving that objective. Put one foot in front of the other. Apologize to no one.

HTH

My dd really enjoyed learning Latin this year.

I am still new to all things hs, but if your dd enjoyed it and you have time to help her pursue it another year, then why not?

A good mom asks the honest (and frequently tough) questions and seeks wise counsel. You have done both which makes you tops in my book.

There's a third option: outsource. It's not in everyone's budget, but there are increasing numbers of good online classes, as well as co-ops, classes, and private tutors.

And by the way, one response to the quoted questions is that of course you can do all those other things. Some of us would just rather teach one subject than grammar and vocabulary and a modern language.

The other response is that the only way you can read Latin literature as it was meant to be read is to learn the language. Plenty of people don't care at all about that...but some just don't know what they're missing. ;) Frankly, I care much less about the mental training aspect of Latin than I do about having access to great writers and thinkers on their own linguistic turf. As the Italians say, "Translator, traitor." (For the record, I have learned several languages because I wanted to read one particular book in the original. I also realize that many people would consider that overkill. ;))

So not everyone will buy these arguments, and that's fine. And I don't think it makes sense to teach Latin just because "all the other kids are doing it." Teach it because you believe it's valuable, both for the secondary goods it brings and for its own sake.

All of which is far more that you probably wanted to know! :D

I greatly appreciate all this helpful input!:)

But about me learning alongside her (outsourcing is not an option at this stage), how much Latin (and which programs might be best suited to this, if so) can she learn without additional help by a real live human (outside of the DVDs)? We did Latin Primer this year (stopped halfway for a few reasons and I decided to switch to LCC for next year).

I'm happy to let her keep up with Latin if she enjoys it (and I do see the benefits in it) but just trying to assess what we're getting into in order to do that.

Yes. You could . Most programs have pronunciation CD's where you can listen to how the words are pronounced. I find though that the DVD's make learning the Latin more enjoyable though . Not so much for my girls ( they do enjoy the DVD) but for me as I have tone issues ( must be old age :>) and need to see someone pronounce the word along with hearing it at the same time .

Programs like Prima Latina and Latin for Children have programs with DVD's . You can find these used if money is an issue ( isn't it for all of us :>)? My girls do REALLY well learning Latin with the DVD's . If I could afford outsourcing I would do that . But we can't at the moment . The DVD's do just as good if not better a job because you can pause , rewind , fastforward . I know we have times where my girls hit a wall and we just pop in the DVD and review Chapter 3 again .

I will agree with Plaid Dad though , you really don't know what your missing by not learning the language fully yourself . Don't let the grammar part intimidate you into not learning the Latin . If your daughter can learn it so can you . If you hit a rough spot , take it slowly until you get it ( you will trust me :>)that's the beauty of homeschooling . I don't have problems with Grammar but this old brain has to practice learing the Latin words and meanings much more so then my daughters have to :>)

Also remember that if Latin just isn't working for you guys that you don't HAVE to do it just because everyone else is doing it . If she likes the Latin she may enjoy the Romance languages instead, Spanish , French , Italian , Portuguese , and Romainian . So you don't have to continue on with Latin if its not your cup of tea , you could pick one of those as well .

I sort of feel even a little Latin is better than none. I did only a year at highschool, but it all came back to me when I started learning alongside my kids. So maybe you could just keep going until it gets too hard, and then dont feel like you have failed...be happy you got as far as you did.

The other things I noticed is that your oldest is only 9.

You could just go slowly now, for sure, and have your oldest work independently if they are able. Neither of mine would have been able to learn Latin independently at that age though.

Or you could wait a couple of years too, and by about 12 I think most kids could follow some of the programs independently.

Whatever path you choose, if any, make sure you choose a program that has a good answer guide so that you can at least know if your kids are on the right track.