Menu

building a house

So I have decided that now is the perfect time to build my dream house. After all it is a buyer's market right ;) So here's what I am thinking.

Finished walkout basement that has a huge classroom/playroom all in one with bathroom and mini kitchen. That way I can prepare meals for the kids, and do science exp etc without defacing my beautiful upstairs.

Okay and then the main floor we will have a grand foyer, opening onto an open concept ktichen/diningroom/livingroom. Off those will be a cozy library with floor to ceiling bookshelves. The west wing will be the girls quarters, separate bedrooms that are 25' x 30' each and private bathrooms off them. The bowling alley will be in this wing as well. The East wing will be the Boys quarters, same dimensions. The gymnasium/fitness room will be in this wing. Of course each wing will also have 2 spare bedrooms for those out of town guests that want to come and admire my most awesome of houses.

The 2nd floor will be my ginormous ensuite that I can ensconce myself in.

And of course the best part is the observatory on the 3rd floor with the ceiling that opens up for the giant telescope.

Out back will be quarters for the maid, cook, tutor and nanny (the last 2 for those days I don't feel like getting out of bed).

Yup, I think this is the year folks.

hmmm, I think I am going to need a lot more legos to complete this project. :D

Forget the legos. I think we should all pool our money and buy lottery tickets, so that we can actually build a WTM colony. Then we could all have awesome houses, with a giant fitness center/bowling alley/crafting center in the middle. There will be a Nutella store on every corner, and then the juicing centers to detox after Nutella consumption. There will be a large conference center as well, where we can host interesting homeschool speakers throughout the year.

Any other suggestions for our colony?

ETA: My house is going to need 2 master suites, due to dh's snoring.

Forget the legos. I think we should all pool our money and buy lottery tickets, so that we can actually build a WTM colony. Then we could all have awesome houses, with a giant fitness center/bowling alley/crafting center in the middle. There will be a Nutella store on every corner, and then the juicing centers to detox after Nutella consumption. There will be a large conference center as well, where we can host interesting homeschool speakers throughout the year.

I'm in! :D Of course it will be built in ALberta, because despite the biting cold there is no rats here. It is the only province without them, and then you all can get free healthcare with me. ;) I would rather deal with biting cold than biting rodents.

I like the way you think.

I'm in! :D Of course it will be built in ALberta, because despite the biting cold there is no rats here. It is the only province without them, and then you all can get free healthcare with me. ;) I would rather deal with biting cold than biting rodents.

But, but, but....what about gardening? We'd need to have acreage for growing our own fruits and veggies. I personally, would like to learn from the experienced gardeners here. I keep drooling over heirloom seed catalogs

Is it Alberta that gets money for homeschooling? Just how much do you get? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure that location is going to work for me. I'm with the PP on something coastal.... and warm! For the umbrella drinks, ya know. ;) ... I mean the garden.

Is it Alberta that gets money for homeschooling? Just how much do you get? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure that location is going to work for me. I'm with the PP on something coastal.... and warm! For the umbrella drinks, ya know. ;) ... I mean the garden.

Sure is! Let's just say this year for 3 kids doing things my way (meaning I get the least amount of money) I got just about $2500 to use for school stuff, field trips, extra currics etc.

I'm in! BFF and I have plans to build our own town in western North Carolina. We chose NC, because it has winter and good soil for gardening (two things that are sadly lacking in our coastal FL town), but it's not hideously cold for most of the year.

We'll all pool our resources for things like lawn equipment so that we don't all have to clutter up our garages with redundant equipment.

Of course, we must have a central library for homeschool resources, so the curriculum junkies can peruse everything to our hearts content without making too many expensive mistakes.