Menu

X-Post: List the skills you use most in homeschooling, please.

After many failed attempts at locating any threads on this via 'search', what do you describe as the key skills you use in homeschooling? What would you put on a resume under say, a summary of skills?

I have launched my ds and really need to get back in the work world after homeschooling since second grade figure I need to start compiling a list of skills! Thanks for any help.

I seem to be at a loss or exact words at this moment. Here are some of ths skills I use daily, weekly, yearly...(not necessarily in order of importance).

researching (curriculum, prices, future plans, etc)

organizing

teaching

cracking the whip (ensuring we all stay on task)

self-educating (for areas I know little about)

delegating (for areas I know little or nothing about and don't care to)

scheduling (my time, my kids' time, our household time...yada yada yada)

writing (course descriptions, projects/assignments)

budgeting

HTH

I've often thought of how I will describe homeschooling skills on a resume as well. I would word the resume as one would describe the duties of a one on one tutor. Maybe something along these lines:

* administered customized teaching plans for kids aged elementary to high school

* facilitated group teaching sessions for groups of "x" amount (especially if you did taught co-op classes or outside students)

*maximized time sensitive project plans to cover teaching content within a 36-40 week school year.

* coordinated outside activities and state mandated testing days including AP, CLEP, PSAT and SAT testing

*assisted students in obtaining scholarships ranging from $200-$10,000

*research and planned post high school guidance activities including transcripts, college entrance exams, campus visits, and campus interviews.

*results include 100% college acceptance rate and above national average college entrance exam scores with students receiving combined aid of "$x"

I'm sure I could think of more. But this may be a good start. This was a good exercise to get me thinking along these lines.:001_smile:

I've often thought of how I will describe homeschooling skills on a resume as well. I would word the resume as one would describe the duties of a one on one tutor. Maybe something along these lines:

* administered customized teaching plans for kids aged elementary to high school

* facilitated group teaching sessions for groups of "x" amount (especially if you did taught co-op classes or outside students)

*maximized time sensitive project plans to cover teaching content within a 36-40 week school year.

* coordinated outside activities and state mandated testing days including AP, CLEP, PSAT and SAT testing

*assisted students in obtaining scholarships ranging from $200-$10,000

*research and planned post high school guidance activities including transcripts, college entrance exams, campus visits, and campus interviews.

*results include 100% college acceptance rate and above national average college entrance exam scores with students receiving combined aid of "$x"

I'm sure I could think of more. But this may be a good start. This was a good exercise to get me thinking along these lines.:001_smile:

This sounds awesome!

Plus any project management, office and organization skills you've used - not to mention software knowledge, and of course, customer service (for dealing with certain people in various negative and positive situations.)

Your title could be: manager/owner/administrator/executor...