Menu

Writing strong paragraphs

Joy at Home

In searching old threads about a particular writing program, someone (don't remember who) said something to the effect that she'd rather her kids write solid paragraphs than weak papers, and so she dropped everything and practiced just strong paragraph writing. Writing frequent paragraphs instead of longer essays is something I would like to focus on right now with my oldest.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Looking for ideas on more frequent, shorter writings:bigear:

thanks,

lisa

Edited to say: I just saw that your oldest is 14 - so my answer is probably way too simplistic. I'm trapped in a 3rd grade mindset right now.

Did you do the notecard method in grade school?

One of our teachers taught us to write paragraphs with notecards. We had to write a topic sentence on one notecard. Then, we wrote 3-4 supporting sentences (each sentence gets their own notecard). We were supposed to arrange the notecards in an order that made the most sense (as if you were reading a paragraph). Then, we wrote the paragraph on paper.

That's how I learned...not sure if that's a "bad way" of learning to write paragraphs :tongue_smilie:. I guess it's one way to show structure...

In searching old threads about a particular writing program, someone (don't remember who) said something to the effect that she'd rather her kids write solid paragraphs than weak papers, and so she dropped everything and practiced just strong paragraph writing. Writing frequent paragraphs instead of longer essays is something I would like to focus on right now with my oldest.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Looking for ideas on more frequent, shorter writings:bigear:

thanks,

lisa

I'm not sure if this would be exactly what you are looking for, but have a look at WWS. My almost 14yo is working through it right now, and one of the principles behind it is shorter but frequent writing practice of skills that are taught. So, certain skills are taught, and then practice in those skills is given for the next few lessons. Then another skill is taught, and practiced for awhile. Then those skills are combined. And so on.

Outlining is taught, too (but so far - he is halfway through it - it's just one-level - but it wouldn't be hard to teach multi-level outlining, with the 2009 WTM logic stage history section), which helps kids to see how paragraphs are constructed.

Paragraph Writing Made Easy is on sale for $1.00 till tomorrow. I've been using this to tutor an adult foreign language student and she is finding it helpful. I've had the hard copy for awhile and liked it enough to buy the ebook version too.

Even if you choose another curriculum, the examples/exercises here would make a strong supplement to another curriculum, for extra practice.

Paragraph Writing Made Easy is on sale for $1.00 till tomorrow. I've been using this to tutor an adult foreign language student and she is finding it helpful. I've had the hard copy for awhile and liked it enough to buy the ebook version too.

Even if you choose another curriculum, the examples/exercises here would make a strong supplement to another curriculum, for extra practice.

Darn, it looks like it's back up to $11.95:glare: is the sale done?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions:001_smile:

Lisa

We just started WWS with a co-op group. They have a source doc, take notes and then do a summary paragraph. The book starts with narration and ends with a Resarch paper. Good stuff. We have 5-9th graders in our class and the 9th grader is a very good writer but he is not bored with the work. The 5th graders are all doing very well. Our only struggler is a 7th grade Aspie. He uses too many clasues and his times are always wrong (He says, "One time" instead of "one day" etc).

Have you looked at Jensen's The 7 Sentence Story?

Stephen King says all great writing is built on the paragraph.

I am at about the same point you are. This is our first year out of ps, and I tried a full writing curriculum, but I just don't think it was getting the job done. I want to focus on really well-written paragraphs and even more specifically well-written sentences at this point. Once I feel confident that the kids can write a really good paragraph, then I will move them on to something more. I have purchased quite a few writing books, but these are some of the best that I have found in piecing together writing lessons for my dc's.

Comprehensive Composition: This provides all the tools to teaching writing K-12, with heavier emphasis on middle school on up. This is not a student book, but a very clearly written guide for the parent to teach writing.

Razzle Dazzle Writing: This has some fun activities to emphasize writing techniques. There are some pages meant to copy for the student, but it is a book designed for the teacher. My kids have really responded to the activities, and I think they are well done.

Grammar for Middle School: While the title indicates that this is a grammar book (and in a way it is), it is much more of a method of learning to write great sentences. The authors (Don and Jenny Killgallon) take sentences from literature and have the students analyze them and understand what makes them great sentences. Then they have students recreate their own sentences using the model sentences from literature as a guide to structure. I really like this method. Oh, and this is a work text for students.

Edited by mandymom

Googling didn't bring me anything on this.

EDIT: never mind

"seven sentence outline" gets results.

Maybe it is referring to an out of print book by the WIN program?

http://www.amazon.com/WIN-Program-Writing-Narrative-Sentence/dp/1884098053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326852080&sr=1-1

lol, responded to your original post while you were editing it so it shows up edited here and my answer makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by jcooperetc

I found this.

How to Write a Paragraph

Here's How:

Write the numbers 1-5 on a piece of paper.

Next to #1, write your answer to the question, or your opinion on the topic, in a complete sentence. For example, if asked to write a paragraph about your favorite person, you might write, "My favorite person is my mother."

Next to #2, write one reason in support of your answer. For example, on the favorite person paragraph, you might write, "She knows how to help with homework."

Next to #3, write another reason in support of your answer. You might write, "She takes me wherever I need to go."

Next to #4, write a third reason in support of your answer. You might write, "She is very good at reading stories."

Next to #5, rephrase your answer or opinion from #1. You might write, "My mother is a wonderful person to me."

Copy your sentences #1-#5, one after the other, on your final sheet of paper. And there you have it -- a coherent five-sentence paragraph: "My favorite person is my mother. She knows how to help with homework. She takes me wherever I need to go. She is very good at reading stories. My mother is a wonderful person to me."

The example used here is a very simple paragraph for an early elementary assignment, but the same technique can be used for a more advanced open-ended question. Just answer the question in the first sentence; write one reason for that answer in the second; another reason in the third sentence; a third reason in the fourth sentence; and rephrase your answer for the fifth sentence.

I am at about the same point you are. This is our first year out of ps, and I tried a full writing curriculum, but I just don't think it was getting the job done. I want to focus on really well-written paragraphs and even more specifically well-written sentences at this point. Once I feel confident that the kids can write a really good paragraph, then I will move them on to something more. I have purchased quite a few writing books, but these are some of the best that I have found in piecing together writing lessons for my dc's.

Comprehensive Composition: This provides all the tools to teaching writing K-12, with heavier emphasis on middle school on up. This is not a student book, but a very clearly written guide for the parent to teach writing.

Razzle Dazzle Writing: This has some fun activities to emphasize writing techniques. There are some pages meant to copy for the student, but it is a book designed for the teacher. My kids have really responded to the activities, and I think they are well done.

Grammar for Middle School: While the title indicates that this is a grammar book (and in a way it is), it is much more of a method of learning to write great sentences. The authors (Don and Jenny Killgallon) take sentences from literature and have the students analyze them and understand what makes them great sentences. Then they have students recreate their own sentences using the model sentences from literature as a guide to structure. I really like this method. Oh, and this is a work text for students.

Mandy, thanks for these suggestions! I forgot about Comprehensive Comp, I'll have to take a look at that again.

Lisa

I found this.

How to Write a Paragraph

Here's How:

Next to #1, write your answer to the question, or your opinion on the topic, in a complete sentence. For example, if asked to write a paragraph about your favorite person, you might write, "My favorite person is my mother."

Next to #2, write one reason in support of your answer. For example, on the favorite person paragraph, you might write, "She knows how to help with homework."

Next to #3, write another reason in support of your answer. You might write, "She takes me wherever I need to go."

Next to #4, write a third reason in support of your answer. You might write, "She is very good at reading stories."

Next to #5, rephrase your answer or opinion from #1. You might write, "My mother is a wonderful person to me."

Copy your sentences #1-#5, one after the other, on your final sheet of paper. And there you have it -- a coherent five-sentence paragraph: "My favorite person is my mother. She knows how to help with homework. She takes me wherever I need to go. She is very good at reading stories. My mother is a wonderful person to me."

The example used here is a very simple paragraph for an early elementary assignment, but the same technique can be used for a more advanced open-ended question. Just answer the question in the first sentence; write one reason for that answer in the second; another reason in the third sentence; a third reason in the fourth sentence; and rephrase your answer for the fifth sentence.

Hunter, thank you so much for this. Great suggestions!

A visual I like to do is this:

Draw a table. Write the topic sentence on the table top. Write the supporting sentences on each leg.

This shows how the supporting sentences support[hold up] the topic sentence.

:w00t: Ah, I'm going to try that with my son! Good idea!

Four Square is also another way to teach paragraphs. It starts out quite basic and builds from there. I used it with all my kids.

http://www.amazon.com/FOUR-SQUARE-WRITING-METHOD-GR/dp/B000F8XA8Q/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Here is a site from a school district that uses Four Square that has lots of paragraph writing ideas.

http://jc-schools.net/write/

We are currently on Week 18 of WWS and I would highly recommend it. I believe Peace Hill Press offers the first 10 weeks free and it is worth the effort.

You don't find it advanced for a 5th grader? I have toyed with having my son start this, it seems way too advanced for him. He is doing WWE3 right now, and I'm having him work through WWW5 just to keep his "schooly writing skills" up.

Four Square is also another way to teach paragraphs. It starts out quite basic and builds from there. I used it with all my kids.

http://www.amazon.com/FOUR-SQUARE-WRITING-METHOD-GR/dp/B000F8XA8Q/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Here is a site from a school district that uses Four Square that has lots of paragraph writing ideas.

http://jc-schools.net/write/

VERY impressive. Somehow I missed this up till now :-0

bnrmom,

Sure, it is absolutely challenging her. I don't mind that though. Even if she doesn't get every thing perfectly I know SWB will continue to review and build on it as we go. Not to mention that my dd will get better as she gets older as well. I don't see any reason not to raise the expectations though in the mean time and work on things at that caliber. Within each lesson we take our time, I write out on the board what is expected in the longer writing lessons and we make certain at the end that we have met each of those requirements.

The curriculum has really been about more than just the indiv. lessons. When you have a curriculum that will get your kids reading the entire book each week just from having read the excerpt she chose, then you know they are into it. dd and ds even love all of the history and science book excerpts. We are working on writing descriptions of a person and in all my days I never realized there were that many aspects to writing about a person that you could choose from.

Or knowing that you could write a chronological narrative about a scientific description and mix it with a description of the scientific object. Use figurative language and a personal view point to further bring in the reader. These are not things that I learned before. I would have just looked up three things about the subject and wrote about them while including an introduction and conclusion.

I have been thrilled with this curriculum.. hard or not. And even if they only get 80% of what she is teaching this year, they are still getting miles more than I personally think most other curriculums are offering.

You don't find it advanced for a 5th grader? I have toyed with having my son start this, it seems way too advanced for him. He is doing WWE3 right now, and I'm having him work through WWW5 just to keep his "schooly writing skills" up.

WWS is designed for 5th graders (and older), esp. if they've gone through WWE. My 5th grader is using WWS, but she also completed WWE4 last year. So WWS is not too advanced for her. It's more of a pleasant, daily, healthy walk in the park that gives her new skills to gradually work on.

I have seen that SWB advises that kids around this age at least finish WWE3 before trying WWS. WWE4 gives a 4th grader another year to practice WWE skills if he/she is not yet ready for WWS. But an older kid could possibly start WWS without having gone through WWE4.

Edited by Colleen in NS

Thank you for sharing this! I used it with both kids today. It was really a big hit!! They both used it with such success. Im going to do several variations and then move onto the 5 paragraph essay with my daughter. She already writes multiple paragraph papers but i believe this will make the process much simpler. So thanks!

I found this.

How to Write a Paragraph

Here's How:

Currclick sells the Four Square books. I downloaded one and am very pleased with it. I like this better than Step Up to Writing and it is SO much cheaper!

Mytwomonkeys, I'm so glad you had a successful writing lesson today. There is nothing like making progress with organization in writing. It can actually be heady, after an extended period of time feeling discouraged about progress in that area. No amount of style and content can cover up lack of organization.