Menu

What to order: MPH Science 3/4

I'm getting ready to order MPH for my oldest. I've already decided that I want to buy the textbooks, activity books, HOTS book, and the teacher's manual. I'm undecided about the other books: more notes, homework, and tests. Would we be missing something important if we didn't use those three books? I have money I can use to buy them, but would rather spend it on something else if they aren't worth it.

We're about to finish up with MPH 3/4.

I definitely recommend the Teacher's Guide along with the textbook and activity book. The TG is where the teaching information is. I don't find it open and go, but I am impressed with the program.

I think More Notes is definitely optional at the 3/4 level. I think I'll be glad to have it in 5/6. More Notes has additional information at a deeper level than the TG Notes for Teachers section. It also has websites with more information. You won't get that in the TG but at the 3/4 level, I think you're fine without More Notes.

The text and activity book are also supposed to be springboards for reading other books on the topic and the TG will also have some other activities and ideas. After doing a chapter (or two) in the text, there's an assignment in the Homework book. This is basically note-taking and questioning whether the child understands at a basic level what was just covered. I have my son do the HW without his book, mark what's wrong, then have him use the book to correct any mistakes. If you want to cut down on what you use, the HW would be what I'd skip.

After the HW, I have my son do the HOTS for the chapters. The HOTS really stretches thinking. It's comparable IMO to the CWP and IP of the math books. The Tests do the same. They aren't quite as difficult as the HOTS but they are significantly more challenging than the HW and definitely aren't just regurgitation of material. They do extend and go deeper on a topic. I am comfortable using the Singapore grading scale with the HOTS and Tests.

So I would get the Tests if I were you (but I did get everything for 3/4 and did again for 5/6). Skip More Notes and HW if you're skipping (but I do like the HW... just not as much as the HOTS and Tests).

Thanks to you both. I just ordered everything except the More Notes. Can't wait to receive the package! :)

Hope you'll be happy with it.

As an FYI, there was one test question in Cycles (I think) that we had to skip because it was about some types of fruit that we just don't know anything about. Other than that, it's gone well.

And 5/6 really does look like it steps things up a bit. I agree with Tress that it looks pretty neat.

Would you order up a grade level? We will be 4th grade next year. I was thinking of giving this a try. Not sure if I should get 3/4 or 5/6?

Sorry for the hijack :)

I'd say it'd depend on how much time you want to devote to science.

We really only got through the Diversity text and a bit of Systems in 3rd grade. We're doing the other 3 books after finishing Systems in 4th, so it could be possible to do 3/4 in 4th grade and continue on in 5th, then move to 5/6.

In my opinion, the level of 5/6 looks like it'll require a pretty solid grounding from 3/4. It's definitely a continuation of the earlier books.

So I'd start with 3/4. But I haven't taught from 5/6 yet... just looked over the books (and thought... wow...)

Giving this a bump for you, because I don't know either ;).

I decided to keep MPH science at the same level I'm using Singapore Math, just because that is what they do in Singapore :D, not because there is so much math in MPH, because there isn't.

To answer the original questions, I bought the textbooks, activity books, HOTS, Homework, and the TM. I find the TM handy, as I can choose to do all the activities (very meaty), or pick and choose. I like the activities and ideas included. We are going through the 3/4. Ds8 is in third, and he's learning much from it. I add videos and such. We're only still on the first textbook, Diversity, finishing off Materials. I love the web links the TM includes, or to even the fact that it just reminds me of what to add. It's a pleasant program, and above all, IMO, rigorous and easy to teach. The critical thinking questions are just what ds needed. I needed this after I had my third child - she's still a baby. Although I love, love BFSU and miss it at times, I find MPH is a better fit for us at least for now. I'm planning on continuing with BFSU at some point, possibly combining it with MPH. I'm thinking of introducing the ideas through BFSU, complete the lesson, then continuing on with the color and fun illustrations of MPH. We do Science daily, but a little bit at a time. 20-30 min tops. I'd rather him understand fully than to fly through the material.

Edited by sagira