Menu

Homeschooling moms who are also childcare providers?

I used to have a home daycare and gave it up several years ago when all of the children I had went off to school. Currently I work outside of the home full-time (nights/weekends) and I'm thinking of going back to childcare.

I'm not wanting a full-scale home daycare, I'm thinking just simple childcare for 1-2 children. I only have two children of my own so adding another 1-2 kids should be manageable, I think. After all, I keep telling myself, there are many large homeschooling families with more than 3-4 kids. Right? I did it once before with more kids, this time I can do it with fewer kids but the added responsibility of HSing. Maybe not 100% ideal, but better than my current job, I'm hoping...

I'm sure there are other HSing parents here who have a couple extra kids during the day. Tips, pointers, thoughts? Anyone?

If you are going to add only two and not have to depend on many, the "turnover" factor can disappear and you can invite in a higher-quality fit into your home.

Be picky, go flat rate, and not by the hours logged. You can afford to be elite about your expectations this way, and command a higher salary.

I used to have a home daycare and gave it up several years ago when all of the children I had went off to school. Currently I work outside of the home full-time (nights/weekends) and I'm thinking of going back to childcare.

I'm not wanting a full-scale home daycare, I'm thinking just simple childcare for 1-2 children. I only have two children of my own so adding another 1-2 kids should be manageable, I think. After all, I keep telling myself, there are many large homeschooling families with more than 3-4 kids. Right? I did it once before with more kids, this time I can do it with fewer kids but the added responsibility of HSing. Maybe not 100% ideal, but better than my current job, I'm hoping...

I'm sure there are other HSing parents here who have a couple extra kids during the day. Tips, pointers, thoughts? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I am currently watching 1 little girl fulltime and 2 little boys every other saturday. The little boys are easy, they are only twice a month and the 3 yr old likes to help me with my weekend chores, the little guy spent months being worn by me and is now happy to play with the other kids when I go to switch the laundry etc. The little girl is 2, and somedays that makes school impossible because she is being thoroughly 2 and up to mischeif and such. Her mom is a teacher and they have always done stuff at home so when it is school time she joins us and asks for her homework.

I am not being paid nearly as much as I would be if I lived in the city. But I have to charge basically what the going rate in my town is. It took me a long time to get a f/t client, but I ended up getting her due to word of mouth, because I watched a little guy this summer. His parents skipped town without paying me, but his mom had told her nail girl in town and her nail girl told this mom and so they pulled their little one from her other dayhome(that they were unhappy with anyway) and switched her to me.

A couple things I am sure you already know is to get money upfront before care begins. I have always known this but was trying to be nice and agreed to every 2 weeks based on hours for that little boy. I am now out $126, so I charge a flat rate to be paid in advance. I do prorate for sick days to encourage them to keep her home if she is sick. Given the types of jobs the parents have it is rare for them to take days off so it isn't an issue, but most daycares do not prorate. They were very thrilled that I did. I only deduct $20 from the next months bill if they call and cancel a day due to illness(my normal daily rate is $40 so it is only 1/2 of that). I am hoping that it stops the chance of doping her up with tylenol and bringing her sick (not that I know they would but having been in daycare for as many years as I have it is a common issue).

I would aim to take a young baby that you can wear and that grows used to the routine there and how the day flows, or a slightly older child that is either a bit advanced, or at least 3.5 simply because from 18 month to about 3.5 if they are not used to schooltime, or are not able to sit and do a sustained activity you may find yourself unable to either properly teach due to chasing the little one, or not to properly watch the lo due to teaching your own. Having this little one I watch do tot school with us makes our school days run much smoother. And because she loves the routine(and her mom does too), she know when she comes she plays quietly until I get the kids up. SHe has a snack while they eat breakfast and then we all do school, her included. After that is lunch followed by nap/quiet time, then outdoor play, then she(and my youngest) does a craft while the big 3 do school, they all have freeplay while I tidy up and then her mom comes. It is very organized everyday. The same routine, boom boom boom. Otherwise something doesn't get done, or kids are into things while I am trying to pull something together etc. When I do my lesson organizing the night before I do the same with activities for her, my lesson plans are written up to include totschool. So that means I am teaching 5 kids everyday.

The 2 little boys I watch every other saturday could not join us for school, they can not maintain that level of sustained activity, and they are into everything. I would never agree to watch them fulltime, until they were older. Since you are only looking for 1-2 kids and therefore not worrying about filling right up you can afford to be more picky and chose only the families/kids that are the best for you and your kids.

Since you have run a home daycare before you know the level of work and commitment that goes into it. YOu know what it takes to run a good program with a high level of care for the kids. It is not something you are going into with ideas that it is "easy" money like some do. I think if you feel that you can do it and teach and do both well while still tending to the home etc than it is the right choice. A lot of people could not do both together without something suffering in quality, but I know I can do both, in fact I do better when I am watching other people's kids. Sadly my quality increases when I am being paid vs when it is just my own kids, I am more organized, the house is cleaner, I am calmer. It is better for me to run it than not to. I have worked in childcare for 23 yrs now so it is second nature to me. I know I am not the only one with childcare in their blood and the ability to provide great care for others while achieving the best for her own kids/family. If you think you can do it, go for it.