Menu

cat allergies

We moved this summer to a new state and I'm trying to get dc involved in some homeschool, church, and/or community activities. The problem I'm running into is that so many families have indoor cats. Dd is allergic (I am too for that matter). She is missing more activities than she is making due to the cat allergy. Other than hosting things myself - and due to the size of our current house - that is not possible, any suggestions?

Dd has been on allegra since last April. Folks don't seem to understand that "putting the cat up and running the vacuum" isn't enough for severe allergies. Dd has had to take prednisone before and we try very hard to avoid that by keeping her diet and environment as allergy free as possible. we just don't go into known allergen houses.

:grouphug: My son has that issue with dogs. He's allergic to cat too but dog is severe with asthma involved. Allergy meds and even the inhaler before we go don't help. He has asthma trouble often for a week after we visit one particular family. We were close, getting together weekly, and can't do it anymore. We can't have them here for other reasons. I tried to set up things at a neutral place (church gym, parks, etc.) for a while but it really hurt the friendship over time and we rarely see them honestly. I find it really sad. I don't have a good answer and I'm sorry. :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

No great answers here. We are just realizing that DD inherited DH's cat allergy. She has one close friend with a cat. When she goes there for sleepovers, we give her one of DH's Claritan pills (she's 12) before she goes. For her, right now, that keeps her symptom free.

DH is on daily Claritan, takes an extra dose before we go into a house with a cat, and still struggles for a day or so after.

Dd has been on allegra since last April. Folks don't seem to understand that "putting the cat up and running the vacuum" isn't enough for severe allergies. Dd has had to take prednisone before and we try very hard to avoid that by keeping her diet and environment as allergy free as possible. we just don't go into known allergen houses.

This is how I am with cats. Just walking in to a house with certain kinds of cats flares up my allergies and then it goes to my lungs. I have to skip some church functions and some family functions because of it. I haven't figured out any way around it and it's frustrating. I'm sorry she's having to miss so many things.

I have cat, dog, horse & hay allergies... and I own cats, dogs, horses & hay!!! I take a Loratadine pill every day and periodically take a benadryl at night (makes me sleepy!).

None of the homeschool events that I have been to in the last couple years has been "typically stationed" at a specific persons house. Usually they are at parks, churches, or field-trip locations.