Menu

Reviews of LoF Geometry?

I can't answer all you questions, but since you haven't got any replies I will answer what I can. We have used LoF from fractions through to Alg 2. We did Geometry between Alg 1 and 2. I think it was very thorough, more than what I did at school and I did math through Calculus and Statistics. I am not familiar with Jacobs though. Yes, the bulk of the course is proofs. My son loved it and found it easier than Algebra because he is a visual learner.

Dd used LOF Geometry. She liked the book and there are many good things about it. However, there are two-three main limitations on this:

1. no paragraph proofs if you want those (not on PSAT or SAT if that's what you're concerned with)

2. The two column proofs allow you to say "Algebra" instead of naming the specific Algebraic postulate you're using

3. Not a lot of problems if you need review. There was no Home Companion to this book when we bought it, so unless one has come out there are no extra problems as there are with LOF Algebra texts.

We rectified this by using Dressler along with it.

Sue,

This probably won't help much but I'll add my .02. Ana struggled with Algebra I in several programs. She is over half way through Beginning Algebra and is entirely self teaching and LOVES it. We are planning on doing Algebra II just slightly ahead of Geometry as it is advised 2yo do Geometry after Advanced Algebra by LoF.

There is a FAQ here that shows LoF actually covers more material. Frankly, I'm just thrilled she gets math.... Finally.

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/21%20Questions/question%20page.html

Sue,

This probably won't help much but I'll add my .02. Ana struggled with Algebra I in several programs. She is over half way through Beginning Algebra and is entirely self teaching and LOVES it. We are planning on doing Algebra II just slightly ahead of Geometry as it is advised 2yo do Geometry after Advanced Algebra by LoF.

There is a FAQ here that shows LoF actually covers more material. Frankly, I'm just thrilled she gets math.... Finally.

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/21%20Questions/question%20page.html

Yes, LOF covers a lot of material--I don't want anyone to think that I don't like LOF, but it does have limitations that can come up for kids who are serious about math and then find themselves not used to naming the Algebra Postulates or who have never done a paragraph proof. It's also not as good alone for dc who need a lot of practice. Dd didn't, but some of my dc need more practice than she does. :)

Karin, thank you. I think I would like more of the traditional proofs but at the same time, ds is actually DOING math now and tolerating it. If LoF is working...I'm all for continuing with it. Make sense? As for DD15...hmmmm...I might have to consider a more traditional approach. Kelly, I did read the FAQ and saw Stan's comments about sequence. My plan for my dd15 anyway is to do Geometry concurrently with Alg. 2. I want her to have some sort of basic Geometry knowledge for PSAT's next year. Off to check out Geometry texts now...:001_huh:

Karin, thank you. I think I would like more of the traditional proofs but at the same time, ds is actually DOING math now and tolerating it. If LoF is working...I'm all for continuing with it. Make sense? As for DD15...hmmmm...I might have to consider a more traditional approach. Kelly, I did read the FAQ and saw Stan's comments about sequence. My plan for my dd15 anyway is to do Geometry concurrently with Alg. 2. I want her to have some sort of basic Geometry knowledge for PSAT's next year. Off to check out Geometry texts now...:001_huh:

That makes total sense to me :). That's why dd did LOF as her main math, but I made her do some Dressler (and she fought me on it:glare:) because she is thinking about majoring in math. In the end, she redid Honours Geometry in ps because she wouldn't study for the placement test & finally had to do some paragraph proofs (I had lost that battle).

I did find, however, that LOF didn't stick as well with my middle dd even though she loves it.

Do what works.:D

Edited by Karin
Because I'm a poor typist

My dh has a MA in math, and was comfortable enough with LOF to give them the option between that and Jacobs (which we also own). Right now, they're going to do LOF (I think that it will appeal to their tutor's sense of humor), but if any of us (me, dh or the tutor) seem to think that they need more -- depth, practice, or whatever, Jacobs will come out as primary or secondary.

My oldest is doing Advanced Algebra and Geometry concurrently, and it it working well. He had started Jacobs a couple of years ago, but then his dad was traveling full-time and didn't have the time that he'd committed to work with him, so we went with Key To, which was really just more of an introduction, no proofs or anything, but enough to get him by at the time.

Sue,

It makes complete sense. We wanted 2yo do the same thing and perhaps someone else can verify, but I thought that some of the material covered in LoF Advanced Algebra was needed for Geometry. I don't know why it would be so, but I thought I had read that before. If someone knows whether it is do our not I would love 2yo hear it. We are on the same one crunch preparing for the PSATs in the fall.

Sue,

It makes complete sense. We wanted 2yo do the same thing and perhaps someone else can verify, but I thought that some of the material covered in LoF Advanced Algebra was needed for Geometry. I don't know why it would be so, but I thought I had read that before. If someone knows whether it is do our not I would love 2yo hear it. We are on the same one crunch preparing for the PSATs in the fall.

We did LOF Geometry before Advanced Algebra and had no problems with it.