Menu

another "have you used..." thread

momma aimee

Truthquest History Guide: American History for Young Students Volume 1

http://www.amazon.com/Truthquest-History-Guide-American-Students/dp/0975290878/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I31T9FMHGZ8LPF&colid=1CIXP5FKCGAFY

I am going to do Story of the world Vol 1 for history but as a "social studies" I plan to do a lot of America stuff -- and would dearly love to have something to follow. i do more that way than if i have to make it all up.

We've used it. What would you like to know? I no longer have it so hopefully I can remember enough to answer your questions.

did you like it? what level was it on -- could it work for first grade -- of course I'd be doing the reading -- or is it too complex?

did you like it? what level was it on -- could it work for first grade -- of course I'd be doing the reading -- or is it too complex?

Yes, we did enjoy using it. I used it with my then 1st grader and it worked just fine. Some of the topic summaries I read word for word and others I just used as a guide. We loved the book list. We have a pretty decent library and were able to find several books for each section so I didn't really buy a lot to go along with it. We are using the 2nd guide in that series this year along with A Living History of Our World. (link in signature in case you are curious)

We had it on loan from a friend. I really wanted to like it since I agreed with the author's ideas as set forth in her website, and I also happen to share her particular ideas on God's Sovereignty theologically.

However, I greatly disliked the style of writing. In

An attempt to sound cool and conversational, her writing

Comes off as silly, with poor grammar and unwarranted wordiness. I honestly detested reading it.

In the end, My kids learned all of their early American history through some old Story Hour books, biographies, and parts of SL Core 3.

We used it a few years ago with a 3rd and 1st grader. The suggested books listed on a given topic can range anywhere from K-12 grade. Some of the commentary went over my 1st grader's head and I paraphrased for her. Overall, it was a great year, and we really enjoyed it. I've been having my 2nd grader tag along with his sisters this year using the topics in the guides for older students, but I think I'll move him back to the younger guides next year and just focus on American history. HTH

We have it. I greatly preferred Beautiful Feet's Early American Primary. Best year we have ever had. I wonder if you could do BF while listening to SOTW. Too many choices for me in TQ. The BF choices are fabulous for young kids, and we loved the coloring suggestion of printing from the D'Aulaire books. Did I say it was the best year ever :lol:

We have it. I greatly preferred Beautiful Feet's Early American Primary. Best year we have ever had. I wonder if you could do BF while listening to SOTW. Too many choices for me in TQ. The BF choices are fabulous for young kids, and we loved the coloring suggestion of printing from the D'Aulaire books. Did I say it was the best year ever :lol:

i am looking at that -- never saw it before -- is the "guide" really ONLY 47 pages long? Am I missing something http://bfbooks.com/Early-Am-History-Primary-Study-Guide -- or am i looking at the wrong thing?

I have used the three TQ AHYS volumes (alongside SOTW) and am on TQ Ancients (Egypt and Greece & Rome volumes) now. I have collected a home library of many TQ oop treasures, spines and readers. Mostly from retired homeschoolers who used TQ and also online. These books are treasures to me, and I will pass most of them down to my grandchildren.

I love how complete TQ is. She includes many subtopics of history that many curriculums skip over. I schedule out the book or books into 36 weeks for spine and commentary readings. Then I schedule the readers in a long list in chronological order as they come up in the guides. I mark if a book is a library reader on the list so I remember to order it ahead of time. They just read down the readers list and check off what they complete. TQ AHYS is chock full of excellent picture books that my children retained tons of info from still. I highly recommend it...

I have used the three TQ AHYS volumes (alongside SOTW) and am on TQ Ancients (Egypt and Greece & Rome volumes) now. I have collected a home library of many TQ oop treasures, spines and readers. Mostly from retired homeschoolers who used TQ and also online. These books are treasures to me, and I will pass most of them down to my grandchildren.

I love how complete TQ is. She includes many subtopics of history that many curriculums skip over. I schedule out the book or books into 36 weeks for spine and commentary readings. Then I schedule the readers in a long list in chronological order as they come up in the guides. I mark if a book is a library reader on the list so I remember to order it ahead of time. They just read down the readers list and check off what they complete. TQ AHYS is chock full of excellent picture books that my children retained tons of info from still. I highly recommend it...

THNAKS -- Love to hear that the TQ books are meaty

• 2 weeks later...