Menu

More Foreign Language: Online &/or CD-ROM/DVD resources for French & Spanish?

In my thread about teaching foreign language in a co-op/tutorial setting, I received a recommendation for Irasshai, a Japanese curriculum by Georgia Public Broadcasting which has all the video segments online for free viewing.

Do any of you people who are learning or teaching French or Spanish have recommendations for online resources that have good models of beginning level dialogue? What about websites with good resources for vocabulary or grammar study?

Do you have a favorite all-encompassing program that includes a textbook and CD-ROM/DVD video? Preferably not hugely expensive. We wouldn't be looking for something like BJU DVD because of the expense.

Thanks for all the help you've given me so far, ladies!

You probably know about Annenberg Media's French in Action, which is a well known video set and textbook. The videos are available free of charge, and you can purchase the book and workbook from the website. It has been highly recommended as an immersion-program... I planned to use it this year, but went with APEX Learning's French instead...

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

Anne, you're a goldmine for online resources! I knew about the Annenberg site once before and had forgotten it, I think. French is not one of the languages I've ever studied (Japanese & Spanish are my two, plus one of my daughters did Latin for awhile) so I'm not at all familiar with French specific resources.

I'm going to keep Googling for resources I can pass along to our French & Spanish teachers; in the meantime if any more of you have favorite websites that have audio, video, or other resources for learning French & Spanish please post them here!

University of Texas has a free, online French 1 course, complete with videos, vocab lists, great grammar--it's really a neat course. Because it's geared to college students, the tone is a bit flippant, but still it's meaty.

French in Action has workbooks, transcribed video scripts, and cassette resources (disclaimer--I have some listed cheap for sale).

Also, Allez,Viens is a good high school text-based program that had cdroms you can buy. They are a little expensive, but you can probably find them used.