Menu

Recommendations for 20th century US music?

happypamama

As part of our US history studies, I'd like to play a few music selections for the children from each decade of the 20th century, things that are indicative of popular styles. I know next to nothing about music, including what was popular when I was in school (my parents were super strict about music), so I welcome your suggestions.

When you think of the following decades, if you have a music selection or two that you feel is typical of the era, or was very popular then, please add it/them. (Should be fairly clean.)

1900s

1910s/WWI

1920s

1930s/Depression

1940s/WWII

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010-plus (I have no idea what would typify current popular music styles.)

We did that time period in history last year (last half of the year) and we studied or listened to the following genres/composers in our studies: Ella Fitzgerald, Scott Joplin and ragtime music, Duke Ellington, John Philip Sousa, Elvis, Someone like Debbie Reynolds (I am completely blanking! We did it as a comparison to Elvis) and then we sort of petered out.

We used the Classics for Kids website and library books, but mostly listened, talked about what we heard and my kids really liked to dance. :). Have fun!