Menu

MUS for Struggling 7th Grade Boy?

My nephew also struggles with math we have been using Lial's BCM since August and he bombed the ch 2 test right before Christmas break. I break each lesson into small chunks over three days with constant review. He demonstrates that he has learned the concept on the white board but when we come back the next day he acts like I'm speaking a foreign language. There is some kind of disconnect going on with his memory.

I was hoping using manipulatives, concentrating on one specific type of task, incremental lessons, and working on the topic to mastery would help keep him focused and on task. Would Math U See work well for this type of child? Does it have enough review on a constant and regular basis?

My idea is to implement MUS philosophy and use of manipulatives into Lial's while using MUS to drill the basics of multiplication, division, decimals, etc. Do you think it wise to combine these two curriculum together? If so can I just buy the manipulatives and the teacher's manual? Do I really need the student text or could I use worksheets, Lial, or make my own problems? I am trying to keep costs down where I can.

I don't think MUS would work well as a supplement for those skills. MUS teaches multiplication in one book, division in one, fractions in one and decimals in a fourth. Each book does review, mostly the skills from the book before and the lessons learned during the book. You spend equal amounts of time in MUS learning new skills and reviewing. It just doesn't have any way to review all the concepts you are looking for, and yes, you would actually need to buy all those student books.

Here's what I did for my dd when she was struggling with math: I took her through Math Mammoth levels 1-3 and part of 4. She did MUS, but it really didn't give her a solid foundation. MM did. After part of MM4, we switched to

Christian Light Education math 500. She will finish that this week and start CLE 600. We started this process in Novemeber 2010 and she will be on grade level by the end of this school year.

I think doing that with your nephew would really help him. I have the PDF files of MM, so I only printed out what I knew dd struggled with. In

CLE, we do the new sections and only selected parts of the review sections so that we can move more quickly. It sounds like CLE's format of a little bit of new stuff followed by review would really be good for your nephew. There is a free placement test on clp.org (diagnostic is what it's called). But I strongly suspect that he needs to go back to the basics like place value, what's really happening when you "borrow" or "carry," etc.

I have a copy of Lial's but I haven't taught out of it yet. I started my 7th grader in the Alpha level of MUS this fall. I don't think the two would mix well. I took such a drastic step because his grasp of math was so bad; he had so many holes in his knowledge that starting over made sense.

For a child with fewer holes in his math knowledge, there's probably a better way to do it and a better curriculum to use.

I have a copy of Lial's but I haven't taught out of it yet. I started my 7th grader in the Alpha level of MUS this fall. I don't think the two would mix well. I took such a drastic step because his grasp of math was so bad; he had so many holes in his knowledge that starting over made sense.

For a child with fewer holes in his math knowledge, there's probably a better way to do it and a better curriculum to use.

Thank you so much for sharing. Unfortunately my nephew has just as many holes in his math as your son if not more. After consulting with a friend who is a school psychologist I have decided to drop Lial's and start Math U See Beta. This is where he tested on the placement test.

Thank you so much for sharing. Unfortunately my nephew has just as many holes in his math as your son if not more. After consulting with a friend who is a school psychologist I have decided to drop Lial's and start Math U See Beta. This is where he tested on the placement test.

If the holes are that bad, I do think backing up in MUS is a great way to fill in gaps and get a strong base level of math. You can move at his pace spending time on things he doesn't know and quickly passing what is solid. My only warning is not to let him go through so fast that he doesn't get anything from it.

Wishing you wild success and your nephew a true understanding of math that will serve him forever.

If the holes are that bad, I do think backing up in MUS is a great way to fill in gaps and get a strong base level of math. You can move at his pace spending time on things he doesn't know and quickly passing what is solid. My only warning is not to let him go through so fast that he doesn't get anything from it. Wishing you wild success and your nephew a true understanding of math that will serve him forever.

I did this, and it was the best curriculum decision I have made in a long time.

All the best to you (and him),

If the holes are that bad, I do think backing up in MUS is a great way to fill in gaps and get a strong base level of math. You can move at his pace spending time on things he doesn't know and quickly passing what is solid. My only warning is not to let him go through so fast that he doesn't get anything from it.

Wishing you wild success and your nephew a true understanding of math that will serve him forever.

I will definitely keep my eye out for him just plowing through instead of really getting it. At the moment he seems to be motivated to conquering his math and spelling problems after I set him down and had a heart to heart talk.

I did this, and it was the best curriculum decision I have made in a long time.

All the best to you (and him),

You have no idea how much I appreciate the support!!!! I feel better knowing you and others have made the same decision and it was a successful one!

I was feeling so much pressure to "fix" him by the end of his 8th grade year so he could go back to "regular" high school. Fortunately his parents have really listened to what I have had to say and are now on board with going at his pace homeschooling with me no matter how long it takes. This is a huge step since they are in CA and I am in TX.

Fortunately his parents have really listened to what I have had to say and are now on board with going at his pace homeschooling with me no matter how long it takes.

Great news!

I wanted to say, also, your description of the student in your original post made me think that it might be helpful to rule out learning disabilities, in case that's what is giving him the trouble with his memory.

However, MUS is great for kids who learn "differently" as well. (I think we all learn differently anyway -- from each other.)

Great news!

I wanted to say, also, your description of the student in your original post made me think that it might be helpful to rule out learning disabilities, in case that's what is giving him the trouble with his memory.

However, MUS is great for kids who learn "differently" as well. (I think we all learn differently anyway -- from each other.)

I just got his insurance straight and now on the search for a doctor to give him a neuro/psych evaluation. I also plan to call the school district and see what testing they can provide. Is there anything else I should do?

Hi there,

This is my first posting to the board, and I'm diving straight in.

I think that it is awesome that you are working with this child. Moving to a rods based program will likely help 10-fold.

For neuro-psychology testing, be advised that insurance may not cover the costs. Testing costs in my area range from $1800-$2200. Perhaps, it is cheaper in other parts of the country.

There is a book called "How the Brain Learns Mathematics" by Sousa. I read that book to help me understand my son's math difficulties and the book helped tremendously.

Rods based instruction with DS has been huge in helping him to understand concepts.

Try to remember that these learners generally have poor working memory and slow processing speed. While teaching, stress the underlying concept. During study, we are constantly connecting previously learned concepts with new ones. Avoid flash cards and use a metric graph paper.

Blessings, Heather

Hi there,

This is my first posting to the board, and I'm diving straight in.

I think that it is awesome that you are working with this child. Moving to a rods based program will likely help 10-fold.

For neuro-psychology testing, be advised that insurance may not cover the costs. Testing costs in my area range from $1800-$2200. Perhaps, it is cheaper in other parts of the country.

There is a book called "How the Brain Learns Mathematics" by Sousa. I read that book to help me understand my son's math difficulties and the book helped tremendously.

Rods based instruction with DS has been huge in helping him to understand concepts.

Try to remember that these learners generally have poor working memory and slow processing speed. While teaching, stress the underlying concept. During study, we are constantly connecting previously learned concepts with new ones. Avoid flash cards and use a metric graph paper.

Blessings, Heather

Oh my, I had no idea testing cost so much! If insurance doesn't cover it then there is no way I can get it done, I'm a single mother just out of graduate school!

I will definitely read the book. I am positive using manipulative blocks will make a tremendous difference as well. Any advice on how to score used ones? I am in awe over how much Math U See charges to ship them.

Oh, and what is metric graph paper?

Don't panic yet. Your local school district should be able to help you, plus you'll need to call around and speak with the private PhD Neuropsychologists in your area and learn their fees.

There are some homeschoolers that never get their kids tested, especially when homeschooling up through high school graduation. They simply adjust their teaching methods.

I plan to have DS tested in 10th or 11th grade to ensure he has a neuro report to receive his accommodations in college.

Metric graph paper is simply graph paper with cm square boxes. I'm always pushing that paper because it helps keep my son's math work in visual order. The paper also helps him with long division. Here's a link to print your own:

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

Blessings,Heather

Schools in many states are required to do testing for homeschoolers. I'm not sure about TX. I would look that up on your own, TX DESE or HSLDA may be able to get the information, in case your school district is less than honest with you. In general, you will have to request the evaluation in writing. They can do an IQ test, OT and speech evaluations done. They can not diagnose your child. You will have to take what you learn and decide what to do with it.

Your insurance may pay as well. Don't give up too quickly.

Math U See can often be bought used here on the Sale/Swap boards and there is a yahoo group just for buying/selling used MUS. It is a good idea to stock up on workbooks at a convention if you can get to one this spring. Buy whatever levels you think you will need for the next year. That way you avoid shipping charges.

Yes, I agree with this as well. That is one of the beauties of MUS. You can really move through quickly when the student has demonstrated mastery in an area. Unlike Lial or other textbooks it is not as cluttered. Simply master a subject then move on. And you can suppliment with word problems from other sources like Singapore if need be to increase rigour as needed.

Yes, I agree with this as well. That is one of the beauties of MUS. You can really move through quickly when the student has demonstrated mastery in an area. Unlike Lial or other textbooks it is not as cluttered. Simply master a subject then move on. And you can suppliment with word problems from other sources like Singapore if need be to increase rigour as needed.

My head is starting to hurt from all the great information, lol!!!! I will have to worry about word problems next month...or the month after that!!!!

Is there anything else I should do?

Sounds like you're off to a good start. A neuropsych eval will give you good information, and the tester should include in his/her written report a lot of teaching suggestions. That should help you.

I agree with the poster who said that poor working memory and slow processing are hallmarks of these kids. So, when you're teaching, I recommend repetition, repetition, repetition. I heard some great advice, and that was, in order to cement the processes in, say, for multiple digit multiplication for example, you do one on the board with him watching, narrating as you go, then you do another one, and another, etc., and you're showing him and telling him all the steps as you do them. If he has an assignment with 10 problems on it, do the first few with him watching, and pretty soon, he'll grab the pencil from you and say, "let me do it!" -- he will have gotten it down well enough to do it on his own, but if he struggles, you're still right there to correct him immediately so that bad habits aren't cemented in. After all, the person said, you're not testing him, you're teaching him. Yes, it does take a lot of energy. But seeing that progress is worth it!