Menu

Sources needed for controversial topics

I am interested in spending a few years reading about and discussing controversial topics with my ds(11) to help prepare him to write persuasive papers in high school.

I would really love to read paired essays, one pro and another con. I would like to rotate through historical, scientific, current events, and ethics etc. I have found some paired essays on the NYTimes website in the opinion section. http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/05/should-foreign-money-be-allowed-to-finance-us-elections/?ref=opinion . But I am looking for additional sources. They can be websites of current issues or books of classic arguments like famous supreme court cases, as long as both sides get a turn.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

I have not seen anything for pro and con essays. But I was actually just today looking at these websites which give a lot of topics and prompts for discussion on current affairs, ethics, etc.

Learning Network NY Times - teaching topics

Learning Network NY Times - Student Opinion

Ethical dilemmas from Good character.com

Not sure if this fits your requirement, but the Learning Network seems to be quite extensive for Thinking questions and Writing prompts on current affairs, Student challenges, etc.

It doesn't sound as thorough as what you want, but I got a nifty book of debate topics with pro and con paragraphs written up to make it easy to discuss. The topics are relevant or interesting to this age, so it was good. I think it was some obvious title like "debate prompts". Oh mercy, you said essays. Nevermind. But if smaller would do, there you go.