Menu

laminating AAS cards

meggie

Mom handles cards much more than the kids do, so they don't seem to get messed up. However, Here are some considerations if you do want to laminate:

The red, yellow, and blue cards are the ones that you review year after year. You continue to review the mastered cards from previous levels throughout the series.

The kids do handle the word cards at times, but not until levels 4 on up typically. At those levels you sometimes hand the child a stack of 10 to work through word analysis for each card. Then they give the cards back to you & you put them in the box though--so it's not a lot of handling by kids.

HTH! Merry :-)

Mom handles cards much more than the kids do, so they don't seem to get messed up. However, Here are some considerations if you do want to laminate:

The red, yellow, and blue cards are the ones that you review year after year. You continue to review the mastered cards from previous levels throughout the series.

The kids do handle the word cards at times, but not until levels 4 on up typically. At those levels you sometimes hand the child a stack of 10 to work through word analysis for each card. Then they give the cards back to you & you put them in the box though--so it's not a lot of handling by kids.

HTH! Merry :-)

thank you, that is very helpful

We recently got a laminating machine from Amazon for their deal of the day (I think I heard about it here, actually!). It was only $25 or so, and we just used it to laminate our phonics cards from WRTR (not AAS, but similar situation I think). The cost of the pouches was minimal and I feel confident that the cards will last through all the kids and am happy that I didn't go buy them from the website. However, my hubby was pretty horrified that I cut up the book, ha ha! He has a more "library" outlook on books, and I am more of a "mark 'em up and put 'em to use" type, LOL!

Anyways, the cost to laminate at home was minimal, so maybe see if any of your friends or co-op has a laminating machine and you can just purchase a package of the pouches at Wal Mart or Staples.

MouseBandit aka Tracey in Oregon

Gosh- that sure would be a lot of cards to laminate. If you were to do them all you would have a few hundred on your hand. It would be a lot of pouches...and maybe I'm exceptionally frugal but I think the cost would outweigh the benefit.

We are on AAS2 right now and really -at this point- would not waste my time or money laminating them. I also have two younger kids who will follow with it but the cards hold up fine in the box and I am really not concerned.

Whatever you choose- best of luck to you. AAS is AWESOME!

Well, again, I am not doing AAS - my phonegram cards are from the 4th ed. of WRTR, and it each card is about 3x3, and were printed 9 or 12 to a regular page. I had legal-sized pouches on hand, so I cut up some of the pages to get an extra row in each pouch, and it took maybe 8 pouches?

Sounds like AAS might have a lot larger cards or lots more, so maybe laminating would be too spendy for them.

MouseBandit

Sounds like AAS might have a lot larger cards or lots more, so maybe laminating would be too spendy for them.

Yes, both actually... I believe there are 8 to a page. If I were going to use this with lots of kids, I might consider laminating the red, yellow and blue cards as they continue through all the levels. In levels 2 and 3 there are 200 spelling cards each, and they aren't used in multiple levels. I would not be inclined to do those.

So what I ended up doing is laminating the blue, red and yellow cards. It cost about $20. I had hoped that they would have been the roller laminating machines instead of the pouches, but nope, Office Depot has pouches.

Apparently Digby is in the process of giving up his afternoon nap :cursing::banghead: so schooling Pigby is going to HAVE to take place while Digby is awake. I am hoping I can strap him into his booster seat and keep him occupied there but I have no idea how distracting it's all going to be. And I have a feeling he'll manage to sneak some cards while I'm not looking. He's pretty handy like that.

Why not just buy card covers (like for recipe cards) or card sleeves (like for baseball cards)? Check your local kitchen goods, game, or sports paraphernalia store; I have a feeling they're probably cheaper when you don't have to worry about shipping. Don't bother getting them for the Word Cards, I completely agree on that. Then, in a few years, you can use them for your recipe cards! (Or your baseball cards, whatever.)

Just a thought.

I am currently using 5 different levels of AAR/AAS, and IMO laminating the word cards would be a waste of time and money. You are talking about 200 cards per level, so 1500-2000 total. They take up enough room NOT laminated!

I could see if you wanted to laminate the rule cards (the blue ones) as those are the only ones used more than once (once your kid learns what sound a phoneme makes you don't have to revisit the card).

As for the word cards -- I do not use them as we go through the program but save them for a spelling bee type review once every few weeks. I need to be able to shuffle the cards to do this, and they wouldn't shuffle nicely if they were laminated.