Menu

Supplementing Teaching Textbooks..?

I have used many different math programs.. Right Start, Horizons, Abeka, MUS, Miquon, MM...

Teaching Textbooks has been the best fit for us..it took the tears, the frustrations, the fights out of math.. for ALL of us...

So.. I like Teaching Textbooks.. Right now, my 5th grader is in TT6 and my 2nd grader is in TT3... They do well in it.. they do well on their year end standardized tests..

However.. I am seeing some areas that need extra practice.. for my older.. fractions.. for the younger.. column addition..

I just think that TT keeps moving forward without giving lots of practice in some areas...

I have used the Key To books.. but ODS does not like them.. and I can see where some of his frustration comes from when I look at the books too.. they present the information in a different way.. and it is confusing, even for me.

So.. What to supplement with? Is there something I can use.. that can be mostly self guided after an explanation of the topic is given..(that isn't one of the programs we have tried and really disliked)?

Consider MUS or MathMammoth.

With Math Mammoth you can purchase the individual topic books. The instructions\explanations are written to the child and you have the added benefit of being able to print out extra sheets if your dc needs additional help. The individual topics start off with the lowest level of teaching and then moves up through the grades on that topic. (ooopps just saw that you already tried MM)

MUS is perfect for working on individual topics as well. I don't know that you would even need to purchase the dvd's since you would only be re-visiting topics. The workbooks are set up so that each topic has 6 pages. 3 practice and 3 practice with review of past concepts. One workbook may be enough to last you for two dc.

I'm in the same boat as you are with the TT. DD12 has some processing issues and spent the last several years with extreme, debilitating math phobia. We finally found TT and she does it without tears and is progressing, but...it, imo, doesn't provide enough practice. I also have problems with getting her to apply what she learns in TT to situations\problems outside of the program. When I give her a problem from a different program, one presented in a different way from the way TT presents it, she has a lot of trouble. I'm giving her a bit more time with easy success in TT before I start supplementing but when I do I will be using either MM or MUS.

I have used MUS and MM in the past.. neither worked for us.. MUS was just agonizing.. MM.. I tried to like MM.. the kids tried to like MM.. but the way the material is presented just confuses all of us.. the way she adds things.. the way the page is laid out..

I think it is that MM presents it in a very different way than TT.. TT is more of how I learned math in school.. MM is not....

I'm not sure what else would work if you are just looking for specific topics. Something like CLE or R&S would probably be too spiral for what you are looking for.

Have you looked at any math worksheet generators online? That way you could create a sheet with problems to work in the specific skill. I'm not familiar with a lot of them but edhelper.com has a generator that I use. They wouldn't have any instruction; it would be purely practice. Khan Academy has limited practice in specific areas...you watch the tutorial and then go do the practice problems in order to move through the web of skills.

I hope some others chime in to give you more suggestions!

I have used many different math programs.. Right Start, Horizons, Abeka, MUS, Miquon, MM...

Teaching Textbooks has been the best fit for us..it took the tears, the frustrations, the fights out of math.. for ALL of us...

So.. I like Teaching Textbooks.. Right now, my 5th grader is in TT6 and my 2nd grader is in TT3... They do well in it.. they do well on their year end standardized tests..

However.. I am seeing some areas that need extra practice.. for my older.. fractions.. for the younger.. column addition..

I just think that TT keeps moving forward without giving lots of practice in some areas...

I have used the Key To books.. but ODS does not like them.. and I can see where some of his frustration comes from when I look at the books too.. they present the information in a different way.. and it is confusing, even for me.

So.. What to supplement with? Is there something I can use.. that can be mostly self guided after an explanation of the topic is given..(that isn't one of the programs we have tried and really disliked)?

I like the Math Mammoth topical books a lot. And I like the FAN Maths Process Skills on the Singapore site

I have used the Key To books.. but ODS does not like them..

I don't let my kids pick what we use. KTF is an excellent tool for teaching fractions. You need additional fractions instruction on top of TT. I have used TT 3 all the way through prealg. I just ordered TT Alg 1 this morning. TT needs supplementation, imho.

I suggest you go back to KTF.

lol... he doesn't get to pick and choose.. but I agree with him.. how they present the information can be quite different from how he's learned it..

I also disliked how on the fractions book.. it was always written vertically.. there were never any problems written horizontally.. which meant it had to be rewritten to be solved.. and with a kid with writing difficulties.. that was an extra, frustrating step..

I think I'll look into the worksheet generator.. because I can focus on what i want them to practice on..