Menu

Turning the 5000 Year Leap into 11th grade History

Has anyone done this? Is there any suggestions on what I can do to make this a little more organized and structured, other then "here, read the book"? This year I have my senior working on "The Making of America" too. And I know following this upcoming year, I will probably have my sophomores using that as well. Before I had no clue, this time though I'd like to be more prepared with a plan.

Has anyone done this? Is there any suggestions on what I can do to make this a little more organized and structured, other then "here, read the book"? This year I have my senior working on "The Making of America" too. And I know following this upcoming year, I will probably have my sophomores using that as well. Before I had no clue, this time though I'd like to be more prepared with a plan.

I plan to use this too but it struck me as more of a government text than a history text so now I am not sure when I am going to use it. The study guides online are free and are really good.

I thinking of doing "America: The Last Best Hope" volumes 1-3 first then following it up with the 5000 year leap.

We used the program for Civics (1 semester). DS took a quiz each day on the previous day's lesson, watched the next DVD lecture, and read the corresponding pages in the book. Although Government is not his favorite subject, I think he found the lectures interesting and learned a lot. There are 2 major exams: a midterm and a final. I let him do those as open-book tests.

I plan to use the same program with my DD.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

We used the program for Civics (1 semester). DS took a quiz each day on the previous day's lesson, watched the next DVD lecture, and read the corresponding pages in the book. Although Government is not his favorite subject, I think he found the lectures interesting and learned a lot. There are 2 major exams: a midterm and a final. I let him do those as open-book tests.

I plan to use the same program with my DD.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Where did you get the DVDs and tests?

We are currently using it for 11th grade government. It's an excellent book, even better than I was expecting.

I found a free study guide online from theforgottenman.org. I've assigned my dd to work through four principles each week and then discuss with me. She'll watch the DVD A More Perfect Union, and she's participating in our state's TeenPact class for the second year.

I chose my resources after poring over previous board threads. I don't have a lot of structure in my schedule; it's one of those that will get squeezed in and done. It's a simple class but I think she's learning a LOT.

More info:

I have this link but never used it, http://1elearn.com/nccs/lesson_1.html

Because I loved the book Men in Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America (and Mark Levin), I'll probably make this required reading.

Our local high school's dual enrollment American Govt class watches a lot of West Wing (the Rob Lowe tv series) as part of their class. IF we watch it for fun, we can briefly discuss, I'll count it toward credit too.

Edited by ThisIsTheDay
edited book title