Menu

Anyone completely DRAINED from trying to homeschool a bi-polar child?

Is it completely draining all your mental energy trying to relate to this child? What do you do?

Anyone just not give up and really give it everything to try and help this child be educated? Was it successful? What really clicked?

I'm about to send DS (nearly 8) to school. I know it's not the end of the world. I just had so many wonderful HS plans... The other children might be able to stay home with me. DD shows tendencies though.

thanks! :)

I homeschooled my daughter with bipolar from preK-6th grade and now she is in public school and doing well there.

My first question is ARE HIS MEDS CORRECT? For us, proper meds at the proper doses are about 90% of the equation. Once that piece is in order, the schooling, parenting, therapy, etc. can all be effective.

I know it can be done but isn't always easy. There are also times when for the sake of the rest of the family and your relationship with the child that public or private school is the best situation.

My 17yo bp, spectrum child required a lot from me. I was exhausted.

And I made the mistake of sending him to school. He picked up on some pretty bad behaviors. I won;t go further and it stressed him out to no end.

Get the meds down first. Once that is down, homeschooling him should become easier however the meds may affect his memory. I do notice my son's memory is worse on meds but he is more cooperative. No win situation unfortunately.

My son wanted off of his meds a year ago and didn;t tell us. He tried to hang himself at this dad's house twice.

So he has learned his lesson. It is ok to be on meds. In fact in his case it is necessary.