Menu

Reading for Me

lexi

Ok, I'm trying to emerge from my Dr. Seuss stupor this year. I realized I hadn't read any books for myself this past year. How sad!!

Next year will be better...I hope! I don't know if I'll make a book a week but I would love that. For you that do, that's so wonderful. I think I'm jealous! :glare:

So, as someone who's living in the land of picture books, I don't know where to begin in picking out something for myself! So, how do you girls choose your books?

I plan to read some classics that I haven't had the chance to read but I'm so out of the loop when it comes to anything beyond children's lit. Anyone have suggestions for me?? Yeah, I'm the feel-good Jane Austen type :) I'll just admit it. :D Fiction, classics, historical fiction...but I need to branch out too.

What should I put on my list??? What are your favorites? Are there any book lists that I should look at?

I get recommendations from friends or book blogs (mostly blogs TBH 'cause my friends don't have the same taste), or I pick up things that look interesting from the library. You might like to poke around and find a couple of blogs where the person has similar taste and then go from there. There are lots of people here who will help!

I browse through blogs or recommendations on this board. Also, I check to see what is on the best seller's lists. If it sounds interesting, I'll try it. If I have had a stressful or overly busy week, I avoid reading anything suspenseful. Sometimes my mood may take me to a historical (or scientific) piece or to a light Amish fictional romance. It just varies.

My mom is my best source. I also like to browse through the Barnes & Noble lists, such as top 100, new & noteworthy, etc. And if there's something I already like, seeing the related titles on amazon is fun. I don't manage a book a week right now either, but a million picture books a week are no problem. I used to enjoy reading the book reviews in the Sunday paper, but haven't for a while.

There a weekly 52 books in 52 weeks thread on these boards, hosted by Robin of My Two Blessings and 52 books in 52 weeks. I get lots of books suggestions from there. Fun book talk every week!

Our local library has a weekly book mag- I get book ideas from there.

I also scope out the new books rack weekly at the library.

If you go to Amazon or B&N or any major bookseller, you can find the NYT Bestseller lists, along with general lists of which books are popular. Those can be a good place to get started. Otherwise, just search your local library catalog for a topic that interests you and go from there.

Once you start looking, you'll probably find you have too many books and not enough time to read them all. ;)